Calculating η for a Diode: A Puzzling Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the value of η for a diode, which should be between 0.5 and 1.0. The formula used is αV=ηeV/kT, and the voltage unit V needs to be in the denominator to yield a unitless result for α. The temperature used is assumed to be 300K and the final value for η is 0.518.
jono90one

Homework Statement

I have been doing an experiment, and I needed to calculate the value of η for a diode.
The value should be between 0.5 and 1.0...
The value for alpha obtained is 20.

Homework Equations

αV=ηeV/kT
Where k is Boltzmann’s constant, eV is the electron volt, T is temperature.
I=I(0)(e^αV) (neglecting the minus 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how η can be a constant seeming V is a variable. The values of the temperature where never recorded (never asked for in the experiment), so do i assume T = 298K? What voltage do i choose to associate that with? the average?
As by doing that i get 0.33 for η, outside the acceptable range where the range of voltages taken where between 0.8 and 0.5 (so i let v=0.65).
Even if i choose v=0.8, it's still less than 0.5 because v would have to be greater than 1.

The values we were asked to gather were between 0.5 and 0.8 v anyway, so that cannot be wrong. Alpha is defiantly correct as i drew it by hand and plotted it on origin. So currently either 0.33 is correct despite not being in the range, or I’m using the wrong values of V in my calculation (or T).

Hope you can advice me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
jono90one said:
αV=ηeV/kT
Where k is Boltzmann’s constant, eV is the electron volt, T is temperature.
I=I(0)(e^αV) (neglecting the minus 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how η can be a constant seeming V is a variable. The values of the temperature where never recorded (never asked for in the experiment), so do i assume T = 298K? What voltage do i choose to associate that with? the average?
As by doing that i get 0.33 for η, outside the acceptable range where the range of voltages taken where between 0.8 and 0.5 (so i let v=0.65).
Even if i choose v=0.8, it's still less than 0.5 because v would have to be greater than 1.

I think you may be confusing the diode voltage V with the unit V. In your expression for α:

αV = ηeV/kT

the V is the unit [V], yielding the value for α to be : α = ηeV/(kTV)

The volt unit is in the denominator of the expression so that when α multiplies the diode voltage (let's call it Vd), the result is unitless. This is required for the parameter of the exponential function to be unitless.

Your expression for the current is then

Id = Is eαVd

The value of α should be approximately η * 38.68 V-1

300K is a commonly used temperature for semiconductor testing.

Ohh i see where i went wrong lol. I now get 0.518 for the value of eta :D

Thanks!

1. How do I calculate η for a diode?

To calculate η (eta) for a diode, you need to use the formula η = (V_out - V_in) / I_in, where V_out is the output voltage, V_in is the input voltage, and I_in is the input current.

2. What is the purpose of calculating η for a diode?

The purpose of calculating η for a diode is to determine its efficiency. This can help in evaluating the performance of the diode and comparing it to other diodes.

3. Can η be greater than 1 for a diode?

No, η cannot be greater than 1 for a diode. This is because η represents the efficiency, which is the ratio of output power to input power. A value greater than 1 would mean that the diode is producing more power than it is receiving, which is not possible.

4. What factors can affect the value of η for a diode?

The value of η for a diode can be affected by various factors such as temperature, input voltage, and load resistance. Higher temperatures can decrease the efficiency of a diode, while higher input voltage and lower load resistance can increase the efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to using the η formula for calculating diode efficiency?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the η formula for calculating diode efficiency. This formula assumes that all the input power is converted into output power, which is not always the case. Also, the formula does not take into account any losses in the diode, such as thermal and voltage drops, which can affect the accuracy of the efficiency calculation.