Solving Diode Resistor Circuit Homework

In summary, the circuit given consists of a power source, diodes, and wire resistance. The diode voltage can be calculated using the equation V = 0.04654 * ln(I/(0.62E-19)) + I*6.97, where I is the diode current. The wire resistance can be calculated using the equation R = pl/A = 0.02 ohms. As the circuit is repeated 50 times, the final diode voltage is 2V and the final diode current is 20mA.
yoyo13

Homework Statement

Find Voltage/Current across each diode:

----R---
|...|
V...D
|... |
----R---

Repeat 50x until:

----R----
...|
...D
...|
----R----

V = power source
D = diode
R = wire resistance
. = empty space

Homework Equations

for diode:
V = 0.04654 * ln(I/(0.62E-19)) + I*6.97

for wire:
R = pl/A = 0.02 ohms

Final diode voltage = 2V
Final diode current = 20mA

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted to use v = ir with wire resistance to find voltage over last-1 diode, but did not work out as current got higher as worked back to source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

It took me a while to figure out how the circuit looks from your description.

It sounds like you are on track to solving this. The diode currents (and voltages) should get higher as you get closer to the source.

I would suggest using Kirchhoff's circuit laws to solve this diode resistor circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. This means that the current entering the node at the top must be equal to the current leaving the node at the bottom.

Using this law, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the current and voltage across each diode. We can start by labeling each node and assigning a variable for the current and voltage at each node. Let's call the node at the top A, the node between the first resistor and diode B, the node between the second resistor and diode C, and the node at the bottom D.

Using Kirchhoff's current law, we can write the following equations:

At node A: Ia = Ib + Ic
At node B: Ib = Ic + Id
At node C: Ic = Id + Ie
At node D: Id = Ie + If

Since we know that the final diode voltage is 2V and the final diode current is 20mA, we can set up another equation using Ohm's law for the resistor and the diode:

2V = 0.02 ohms * 20mA + 0.04654 * ln(20mA/(0.62E-19)) + 20mA * 6.97

We can then solve this system of equations using any algebraic method (substitution, elimination, etc.) to find the voltage and current at each node and determine the voltage and current across each diode.

In summary, solving this diode resistor circuit requires the use of Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's law. By setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown variables, we can determine the voltage and current across each diode and successfully complete the homework assignment.

1. What is a diode resistor circuit?

A diode resistor circuit is a combination of electronic components that includes a diode and a resistor. The diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction, while the resistor limits the flow of current in the circuit. This type of circuit is commonly used to regulate and control the flow of electricity in electronic devices.

2. How do I solve a diode resistor circuit?

To solve a diode resistor circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws. First, calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the resistance of each component in series. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the current in the circuit. Finally, use Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws to determine the voltage drop across each component and the total voltage of the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a diode in a resistor circuit?

The diode in a resistor circuit serves as a one-way valve for electricity. It allows current to flow in only one direction, preventing it from flowing in the opposite direction. This helps to regulate and control the flow of electricity in the circuit, ensuring that it flows in the intended direction and preventing damage to the components.

4. How do I calculate the voltage drop across a diode in a resistor circuit?

To calculate the voltage drop across a diode in a resistor circuit, you will need to use the diode's forward voltage drop and the current in the circuit. The forward voltage drop is typically provided in the diode's datasheet. Simply multiply the forward voltage drop by the current to calculate the voltage drop across the diode.

5. What are some common applications of diode resistor circuits?

Diode resistor circuits have a wide range of applications in electronic devices. Some common examples include voltage regulators, rectifiers, and signal limiters. They are also used in power supplies, LED lighting, and electronic control systems. Diode resistor circuits are essential components in many electronic devices and play a crucial role in regulating and controlling the flow of electricity.