1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Diophantine equation

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1
    The given question required me to solve 7x+4y =100 by using diophantine equation . I get an answer for x = 100 - 4t and y = 200 - 7t . But his given answer is x = 4t and y = 25-7t . I think both of mine and the answer given is correct but I can't figure out how he get another solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What values can t have?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer is obviously incorrect. Using your result, 7x+4y=1500-56t. Your answer is correct for -7x+y=100.

His answer is correct.

5. Oct 10, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you mean -7x+4y=100.

6. Oct 10, 2016 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are right - my typo.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #6
    Both answer is correct since both can be used to find the value of x and y , it's just I don't understand how he get the answer using dio phantine method

8. Oct 11, 2016 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with the Diophantine method. However, by substituting your answer into the original equation, it is obviously wrong. His answer is obviously correct. I can only guess you are misusing the Diophantine method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted