Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diophantine Equations

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know of any resources on the web (or if you prefer, provide me directly with assistance) which will help me understand how to solve equations of the form

[tex]ax^3+by^3=c[/tex]

I believe they are third-order Diophantine equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    Perhaps I should be a little more specific.

How would you go about proving that a third order Diophantine equation has no solutions?

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    I decided to have a go and here is how I went. Let me know if I made any mistakes

Consider the Diophantine equation

[tex]x^3+117y^3=5[/tex]

Choose mod 5.

The equation tells us that [itex]5|x^3 \Rightarrow 5^3|x^3 \Rightarrow x = 5X[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]125\cdot X^3 +117y^3 = 5[/tex]

By the same procedure as above, this equation tells us that [itex]5|y^3 \Rightarrow y = 5Y[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]125\cdot X^3 + 117\cdot 5Y^3 = 5[/tex]

Divide through by 5 and we have

[tex]25\cdot X^3 + 117\cdot Y^3 = 1[/tex]

This equation now tells me that

[tex]25X^3 \equiv 1(\mod 5)[/tex]

But [itex]25\equiv 0 (\mod 5)[/itex]. Hence there is no such [itex]0,1,2,3,4[/itex] such that [itex]X^3\equiv 1(\mod 5)[/itex].

However, if we had checked Y first we would have found

[tex]117Y^3 \equiv 1(\mod 5)[/tex]

which implies that

[tex]Y^3 \equiv 2(\mod 5)[/tex]

since [itex]117\equiv 2 (\mod 5)[/itex]. And since if we let [itex]Y = 3[/itex] then

[tex]Y^3 = 3^3 = 27 \equiv 2(\mod 5)[/tex]

then this tells us that there is a solution. But since it failed for X there is no solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook