Diopters homework problem

In summary, The prescription calls for a +1.50 diopter corrective lens, which is the inverse of the focal length in meters. Using the lensmaker's equation and the given values of n and R1, we can solve for the radius of curvature of the second surface, which should be approximately 3.208 cm. However, this answer is incorrect due to a mistake in the units used for R1.
lostfan176

Homework Statement

A prescription for a corrective lens calls for +1.50 diopters. The lensmaker grinds the lens from a "blank" with n = 1.46 and a preformed convex front surface of radius of curvature of 19.0 cm. What should be the radius of curvature of the other surface?

Homework Equations

[tex]
\frac{1}{f} = (n-1)\left ( \frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{ R_2} \right )
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.5=(1.46 - 1)(1/19 - 1/x)

(1.5/.46) - 1/19 = 3.208
-1/3.208 = -.3117

which is wrong
am i doing this right cause i don't think i am

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lostfan176,

One thing I see: the value in diopters of a lens is the inverse of the focal length in meters. When you wrote 1/f=1.5, you chose your units of length in meters, but then you wrote R1 in centimeters.

I am unable to provide direct solutions to homework problems. However, I can help guide you through the problem-solving process.

Firstly, let's clarify the given information. The prescription for the corrective lens calls for a power of +1.50 diopters. This means that the lens needs to have a focal length of 1/1.50 meters, which is approximately 0.67 meters. The lens is being made from a blank with a refractive index of 1.46. The front surface of the lens has already been preformed with a convex shape and a radius of curvature of 19.0 cm. We are trying to determine the radius of curvature for the other surface.

Now, let's use the given equation: 1/f = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2). Rearranging this equation, we get 1/R2 = (n-1)(1/f - 1/R1).

Substituting the given values, we get 1/R2 = (1.46-1)(1/0.67 - 1/0.19). Solving this, we get 1/R2 = 3.208.

Finally, we can calculate the radius of curvature for the other surface by taking the reciprocal of 3.208, which gives us the value of approximately 0.3117 meters or 31.17 cm.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember to always double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

What are diopters?

Diopters are a unit of measurement used to quantify the refractive power of a lens. It is represented by the symbol D and is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length of a lens in meters.

How do you calculate diopters?

To calculate the diopters of a lens, divide 1 by the focal length of the lens in meters. For example, a lens with a focal length of 0.5 meters would have a power of 2 diopters (1/0.5 = 2).

What is the relationship between diopters and vision?

Diopters are used to measure the corrective power of lenses for individuals with vision impairment. A higher number of diopters indicates a stronger lens, which is needed for individuals with a more severe vision impairment.

How do you convert diopters to other units of measurement?

Diopters can be converted to other units of measurement, such as millimeters, by using the formula: D = 1000/f, where D is the power in diopters and f is the focal length in millimeters.

What is the significance of diopters in optometry and ophthalmology?

Diopters play a crucial role in optometry and ophthalmology as they are used to determine the appropriate corrective lenses for individuals with vision impairments. They are also used to measure the curvature of contact lenses and the refractive power of the eye.