Is a Diploma Mill Bachelor's Degree Worth It in Engineering? The Truth Revealed

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary: There are many schools like this out there. Cheap not in the sense financially, but quality-wise, and reputation-wise, or otherwise known as diploma mills.In summary, a degree from a cheap accredited university is not as good as a degree from a well-respected university. However, if you attend a recognizable school, you will be more likely to land an interview.
waht
In the field of engineering, what do you think is a worth of a bachelor's degree from a cheap accredited university? Cheap not in the sense financially, but quality-wise, and reputation-wise, or otherwise known as diploma mills.

Does a job recruiter look at this stuff? I've been told that it generally doesn't matter, as long you have that paper you should be OK. What do you guys think of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you go to a diploma mill?

No, but my cousin might be going.

A better option would be to attend a public university with a well-respected engineering school. The University of Maine at Orono is not real expensive and there is some great research going on in the engineering department.

If you attend a recognizable school, you will be more likely to land an interview. Once you're in the interviewer's office, though, it's all up to you and your knowledge and presentation.

- Warren

Uh, if an institution is accredited, then how can it be a diploma mill? A diploma mill is generally understood to be an unaccredited school that basically hands out degrees for a small charge. As far as I know, if a school is accredited, then its degrees are worth something.

arunma said:
Uh, if an institution is accredited, then how can it be a diploma mill? A diploma mill is generally understood to be an unaccredited school that basically hands out degrees for a small charge. As far as I know, if a school is accredited, then its degrees are worth something.
If a school has some minimum accreditation and very lax scholastic standards, then it is a diploma mill with a license to print money because students will sign up, put in time, get a diploma, etc, without having to really work and learn. Unfortunately, the College of Education at my alma mater was just such an entity, turning out idiots to educate our children. I was carrying the maximum course-load in a double-major, and my faculty adviser asked if there was a possibility that I might look into a career in secondary education after college. I said that was probably a decent fall-back provision, so he tacked three Theory of Education courses onto my schedule to satisfy the state's requirement (less student-teaching time) for being certified as a teacher. I asked if I would be able to handle the extra courses, given my crammed course-load, and he said "Just show up." I did, and I spent no time outside the classroom studying for these courses and aced them all. It was then that I knew why the Education students could be such party animals.

turbo-1 said:
If a school has some minimum accreditation and very lax scholastic standards, then it is a diploma mill with a license to print money because students will sign up, put in time, get a diploma, etc, without having to really work and learn. Unfortunately, the College of Education at my alma mater was just such an entity, turning out idiots to educate our children. I was carrying the maximum course-load in a double-major, and my faculty adviser asked if there was a possibility that I might look into a career in secondary education after college. I said that was probably a decent fall-back provision, so he tacked three Theory of Education courses onto my schedule to satisfy the state's requirement (less student-teaching time) for being certified as a teacher. I asked if I would be able to handle the extra courses, given my crammed course-load, and he said "Just show up." I did, and I spent no time outside the classroom studying for these courses and aced them all. It was then that I knew why the Education students could be such party animals.

I see. It's too bad to hear that accreditation standards are this low. But I'm aware that most schools have accreditation from multiple boards. Would multiple accreditations imply that an institution's degrees are more valuable?

arunma said:
I see. It's too bad to hear that accreditation standards are this low. But I'm aware that most schools have accreditation from multiple boards. Would multiple accreditations imply that an institution's degrees are more valuable?
Only if the boards exercise oversight and are truly independent of the schools they oversee. This is a huge business, and little leverages here and there can bring lots of money in.

turbo-1 said:
... Unfortunately, the College of Education at my alma mater was just such an entity, turning out idiots to educate our children ...
Your school is not alone :frown:

What is a "Diploma Mill"?

A "Diploma Mill" is an institution or organization that offers fake diplomas or degrees for a fee without requiring students to complete the necessary coursework or meet academic standards.

How can I spot a "Diploma Mill"?

Some signs of a "Diploma Mill" include accreditation from unrecognized or fake accrediting agencies, promises of a degree in a short amount of time, and lack of a physical campus or faculty.

Why are "Diploma Mills" a problem?

Diploma Mills can be harmful as they deceive individuals into thinking they have obtained a legitimate degree or qualification when they have not. This can lead to difficulties in finding employment or pursuing further education.

Is it illegal to obtain a degree from a "Diploma Mill"?

While it is not illegal to obtain a degree from a "Diploma Mill," it is considered fraudulent and can lead to legal consequences if the individual uses the fake degree for employment or other purposes.

What can I do if I suspect a degree or institution is from a "Diploma Mill"?

If you suspect a degree or institution is from a "Diploma Mill," you can report it to your state's Attorney General's office or the Federal Trade Commission. You can also research the institution's accreditation and contact the institution directly to verify their legitimacy.