Can Atoms be Classified as Dipolar Substances?

• Thread starter Prashasti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, an atom can be considered as an example of a dipole only when an external field is applied to reshape the electron cloud. This is evident in the phenomenon of Rayleigh scattering, which causes the sky to appear blue. However, for a neutral hydrogen atom, the answer is no as the electron and proton are not located in a definite place and must be analyzed using quantum mechanics. Prashasti had previously posted a similar query in the Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics forum, causing confusion on where to post.
Prashasti
Can an atom be considered as an example of a dipole? It has positive charge in the nucleus and negative charge around it?!

Science news on Phys.org
Depends. For example with neutral hydrogen atom the electron "cloud" completely cancels the positive charge from the nucleus.

But if there is an external field applied, then the electron cloud can be reshaped so that there is a dipole moment. This happens when sunlight passes by the nitrogen molecules in the atmosphere - the result is Rayleigh scattering of the light from these molecular dipoles - and so the sky appears blue.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/blusky.html

Likes 1 person
That means for a neutral Hydrogen atom it is "Yes" but for any other atom, it is no, (unless electric field is applied). Am I right if I say that this is because there is only one electron in a neutral H atom ,as for one electron and one proton, the direction of dipole moment is possible to tell?!

Prashasti said:
That means for a neutral Hydrogen atom it is "Yes" but for any other atom, it is no, (unless electric field is applied). Am I right if I say that this is because there is only one electron in a neutral H atom ,as for one electron and one proton, the direction of dipole moment is possible to tell?!

It is a _no_ for the neutral hydrogen atom.

I must have explained things poorly if you got the other impression. The hydrogen atom, like all other atoms, must be analyzed via quantum mechanics. The "orbital electrons" are not located in a definite place, but instead have definite energy states. They "appear" as smeared out in an "electron cloud" - even when there is only one electron, as with hydrogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital

Likes Prashasti
Now I got it!

Sorry. I know. I was a bit confused on where to post this query at as it comes under atomic physics and general physics, both - that is why I posted it twice. I didnt read the rules carefully- sorry.

1. What is a dipolar substance?

A dipolar substance is a molecule that has a separation of positive and negative charges, called a dipole moment. This is due to the unequal distribution of electrons within the molecule, resulting in a slightly positive and a slightly negative end.

2. How are dipolar substances different from non-dipolar substances?

Dipolar substances have a dipole moment, while non-dipolar substances do not. This means that dipolar substances can interact with electric fields, while non-dipolar substances cannot.

3. What is an example of a dipolar substance?

Water (H2O) is a common example of a dipolar substance. The oxygen atom has a slightly negative charge, while the hydrogen atoms have a slightly positive charge, resulting in a polar molecule.

4. How do dipolar substances affect intermolecular forces?

Due to their polarity, dipolar substances can experience dipole-dipole interactions, which are stronger than the intermolecular forces experienced by non-polar substances. This can lead to higher boiling and melting points for dipolar substances.

5. How do atoms become dipolar?

Atoms become dipolar when there is an unequal distribution of electrons, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges. This can occur due to differences in electronegativity between atoms in a molecule, or due to the shape of the molecule.