1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole and a detector

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A detector hjaving a radius 10 cm is placed 1 m away from an electric dipole. What fraction of total solid angle does the detector cover and what fraction of total dipole power does it detect (assuming 100% detection efficiency)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the diagram as well maybe that will help. In any case, i think the detector will make a cone (?) with the dipole.Since the base of this triangle has radius of 0.1 m and the height of the triangle is 1m, the apex angle is 5.7 degrees or [itex] 57\pi/180 [/itex]

the total angle swept by the triangle is thus
    [tex] \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{5.7\pi/180}\sin\theta\ d \theta d\phi = \frac{5.7\pi}{90}[/tex]

the total angle swept by a sphere is 4pi so the fraction is simply the answer above divided by 4pi. Is that correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You set up the integral correctly, but I get (I find it nice to work exactly when possible, although you'll have to round eventually anyway, so this isn't really that worth it)

[tex] \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\theta_o}\sin\theta\ d \theta d\phi = 2 \pi \left( -\cos \theta |_0^{\theta_o} \right) = 2\pi(1 - \cos\theta_o) [/tex]

Or using [itex]\theta_o = \tan^{-1} (0.1)[/itex]:

[tex] 0.1 = \tan \theta_o = \frac{\sin \theta_o}{\cos \theta_o} = \frac{\sqrt{1-\cos^2 \theta_o}}{\cos \theta_o}[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \cos \theta_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{ (0.1)^2 + 1 } } [/tex]

So the integral becomes:

[tex] 2\pi \left(1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{ (0.1)^2 + 1 } } \right) \approx 0.00993 \pi [/tex]

For a solid angle of (dividing by [itex] 4\pi[/itex], as you say) .00248

Usually, though, it suffices to approximate the solid angle by taking the area of object and dividing by [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex], where r is its distance from the dipole. This ignores the curvature of the sphere, and so is not exact, but is usually a good approximation. In this case, you would get [itex]\pi(0.1)^2/4 \pi (1)^2 = 0.0025[/itex], which is slightly off, but not too bad for most purposes.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot

Ok now for the fraction of total dipole power detected (assuming 100% detection efficiency)

the total dipole power detected is given by [tex] \frac{dP}{d\Omega}=\frac{q^2 a^2}{2\pi c^3}\sin^2\theta[/tex]

So i need to integrate the above expression w.r.t. omega?

[tex] P = \frac{q^2 a^2}{4\pi c^3} \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int^{\theta_{0}}_{0}\sin^3\theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]

here theta zero is the angle calculated in the first section??

Is that correct?

I am working in CGS units so the formulas will look like their SI counterparts (obviously)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?