1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole and electrostatics

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    given a dipole as in the diagram (http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5311991019489958690 [Broken]) with charges of +q and -q placed a distance of "d" from one another.
    a) what is the electric field at point z, on a line 90 degrees to the middle of the dipole?
    b)what is the electric field at point z, on a line 90 degrees to the middle of the dipole when z>>d? (use the taylor series -> f(x)=f(0)+(1/1!)f'(0)+(1/2!)f''(0)... x<<1)

for a)

the distace from each charge to z is r=[(0.5d)2+z2]0.5
    let alpha be the angle between the field of each charge and the horizontal z line,
    sin(alpha)= (0.5d)/r= d/2[(0.5d)2+z2]0.5

for my x axis i can see that my field will be 0 since E1x=-E2x
    Ey=[K(q/r2)+K(q/r2)]sin(alpha)

Ey=(2kq/[(0.5d)2+z2])*(d/2=[(0.5d)2+z2]0.5)

E=kqd/[(0.5d)2+z2]1.5

now for b) it is clear that if z>>d then d has no real meaning in the denominator so E=kqd/z3 but how do i prove this using the taylor series

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted