1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole and fractional charge

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For this problem, I had to find the fractional charge given the dipole moment u and bond length R in a diaomic molecule (H-X, where X is a halogen)... I found that fractional charge by: fractional charge=u/(eR)
    where e=elementary charge of an electron

I think that's correct?? So then using that, I said that percent ionic character in the bond is "fractional charge"*100%.

So then to find the effective fractional charge on the H and X atom, is that just +"fractional charge" on the H and -"fractional charge" on X?

So in short, if I found fractional charge between HCl to be 0.18 (would it be ok to do that by doing fractional charge=u/(eR)?), for instance, then percent ionic character would be 18% and effective fractional charge on H would be +0.18 and that on Cl would be -0.18?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good. As a doublecheck, you can compare with the % ionic character computed from the electronegativity difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?