1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dipole approximation.

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm reffering to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dipole.html and the approximation [tex] r_1 - r_2 \approx = d \cos \theta[/tex]. I see that it is correct if I draw it up, but I wondered if there were any "more mathematical" ways to see this?

Where does these kind of approximations come from? Is this just a special case or is it often used? I don't think I've seen this kind before.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only approximation you need is that [itex]d \ll r [/itex], i.e. the dipole is very small compared to the distance(s) from its center at which you are interested in measuring the field or potential.

To see how this approximation implies that [itex]|\textbf{r}_{+}-\textbf{r}_{-}|\approx d\cos\theta[/itex], you simply use the standard rules for vector addition/subtraction and calculate the magnitude of [itex]|\textbf{r}_{+}-\textbf{r}_{-}|[/itex], then Taylor expand it for small [itex]\frac{d}{r}[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook