Dipole Approximation: Exploring Its Origins and Uses

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific approximation used in the context of electric dipoles. The approximation states that r_1 - r_2 \approx d \cos \theta, where d represents the distance between the two points and \theta represents the angle between them. The conversation wonders if there are other mathematical ways to derive this approximation and if it is commonly used in other cases. It is then explained that this approximation is valid when the dipole is much smaller than the distance between the points of interest. The calculation for this approximation is demonstrated using vector addition/subtraction and Taylor expansion.
center o bass

Homework Statement

I'm reffering to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dipole.html and the approximation [tex] r_1 - r_2 \approx = d \cos \theta[/tex]. I see that it is correct if I draw it up, but I wondered if there were any "more mathematical" ways to see this?

Where does these kind of approximations come from? Is this just a special case or is it often used? I don't think I've seen this kind before.

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass said:

Homework Statement

I'm reffering to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dipole.html and the approximation [tex] r_1 - r_2 \approx = d \cos \theta[/tex]. I see that it is correct if I draw it up, but I wondered if there were any "more mathematical" ways to see this?

Where does these kind of approximations come from? Is this just a special case or is it often used? I don't think I've seen this kind before.

The only approximation you need is that [itex]d \ll r [/itex], i.e. the dipole is very small compared to the distance(s) from its center at which you are interested in measuring the field or potential.

To see how this approximation implies that [itex]|\textbf{r}_{+}-\textbf{r}_{-}|\approx d\cos\theta[/itex], you simply use the standard rules for vector addition/subtraction and calculate the magnitude of [itex]|\textbf{r}_{+}-\textbf{r}_{-}|[/itex], then Taylor expand it for small [itex]\frac{d}{r}[/itex].

1. What is the dipole approximation?

The dipole approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the calculation of certain physical phenomena involving particles with an electric dipole moment. It assumes that the distance between the two charges that make up the dipole is much smaller than the distance from the dipole to any other charges or fields in the system.

2. How was the dipole approximation first developed?

The dipole approximation was first developed in 1916 by Niels Bohr to explain the spectrum of the hydrogen atom. He used it to simplify the calculation of the atom's energy levels and transitions between them.

3. What are some common uses of the dipole approximation?

The dipole approximation is commonly used in atomic and molecular physics, as well as in quantum optics and condensed matter physics. It is particularly useful in calculating the behavior of molecules in external electric or magnetic fields.

4. What are the limitations of the dipole approximation?

The dipole approximation is only valid when the distance between the two charges in the dipole is much smaller than the distance to any other charges or fields in the system. Additionally, it does not take into account higher order multipole moments, which may be significant in certain systems.

5. Can the dipole approximation be extended to include higher order moments?

Yes, there are extensions of the dipole approximation that take into account higher order multipole moments, such as the quadrupole approximation and the multipole expansion method. However, these extensions are more complex and may not always be necessary depending on the system being studied.