1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole-dipole attraction

1. May 12, 2017 #1

yecko

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    8pFdEDX.png
    http://i.imgur.com/8pFdEDX.png

2. Relevant equations
    polarity of the element

3. The attempt at a solution
    BCl3 is a trigonal planar which the forces would be balanced. Thus it is a neutral substance.
    XeF4 is with tetrahedral shape where one side is a lone pair, which the charge is imbalanced and it has dipole dipole attraction between molecules.
    However, I don't know the other two - AsH3 and SCl3, which one is with dipole dipole attraction between molecules? And why? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is about shape of these molecules - are they symmetric enough to have a zero dipole moment?

4. May 12, 2017 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

A good starting point would be to draw the Lewis structures of each compound so that it's easier to figure out their geometry.

5. May 12, 2017 #4

yecko

Gold Member

OK. I found AsH3 is with tetrahedral shape where one side is a lone pair, which the charge is imbalanced and it has dipole dipole attraction between molecules.

However, i can't even draw the electron diagram of SCl3. It seems there is a non-paired electron. There also no resources on SCl3 on the Internet.
    The most similar structure I found is this one, SCl4. <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Sulfur_tetrachloride.svg >
    How to draw the Lewis structures of SCl3?
    Thanks

6. May 15, 2017 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I agree, SCl3 does not seem like it would be a stable compound. Can you check whether there was a typo in the question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted