1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole in a dielectric medium

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dipole p is situated at thecentre of a spherical cavity of radius a in an infiite medium of relative permitivity [itex] \epsilon_r [/itex]. show that the potential in the dielectric medium is the same as would be produced by a dipole p' immersed in a continuous dielectric, where

[tex] p'=p\frac{3\epsilon_r}{2\epsilon_r +1} [/tex]

and that the field strength inside the cavity is equal to that which the dipole would produce in the absence of the dielectric, plus a uniform field E

[tex] E=\frac{2(\epsilon_r-1)}{2\epsilon_r + 1}\frac{p}{4\pi\epsilon_0a^3}. [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure at all how to approach this question. I would like to say that I would use spherical harmonics but i am not sure how to apply them in this case.

Would it be possible to say that at large distances

[tex] V_2= -\frac{p\cos\theta}{4\pi\epsilon_0\epsilon_r r^2} [/tex]

then to add then assume that outside the sphere that

[tex] V_2= -\frac{p\cos\theta}{4\pi\epsilon_0\epsilon_r r^2} + \frac{A_2\cos\theta}{r^2} [/tex]

and inisde the sphere that

[tex] V_1= B_1 r \cos\theta + \frac{B_2\cos\theta}{r^2} [/tex]

and then solve the problem using the boundary conditions for tangential E and perpendicular D?

I am really unsure of how to solve this and any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2
    Kind of. Since [itex]A_2[/itex] is unknown, you might as well just try the potential: [itex]V_2 = - \frac{p^{\prime} \cos\theta}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r r^2}[/itex], where [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex] is unknown and to be solved.

The whole point of the problem is that at large [itex]r[/itex], the field looks like something due to some effective dipole moment [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex], whose value you are to find.

[itex]D[/itex] is okay, but instead of using [itex]E[/itex], it is easier to use the condition that [itex]V[/itex] is continuous.

So now you have two equations but three unknown: [itex]B_1[/itex], [itex]B_2[/itex], and [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex]. But one of them can be found by consider the limit [itex]r\to 0[/itex].

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    Ahh ok that makes a lot more sense, thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook