Finding Zero Magnetic Field for a Magnetic Dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a magnetic dipole and a uniform magnetic field. The goal is to show that there exists a spherical surface, centered at the origin, where no magnetic field lines pass. The conversation also mentions finding the radius of this sphere and sketching the field lines inside and out. The individual seeking assistance requests guidance on how to approach the problem without being given the solution.
deusexlumina

Homework Statement

A magnetic dipole m = -m0^z is situated at the origin, in an otherwise uniform magnetic
eld B = B0^z. Show that there exists a spherical surface, centered at the origin, through
which no magnetic eld lines pass. Find the radius of this sphere, and sketch the eld lines,
inside and out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this question. please don't solve it for me, but if you could point me in the right direction to try and solve this i would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
deusexlumina said:

Homework Statement

A magnetic dipole m = -m0^z is situated at the origin, in an otherwise uniform magnetic
eld B = B0^z. Show that there exists a spherical surface, centered at the origin, through
which no magnetic eld lines pass. Find the radius of this sphere, and sketch the eld lines,
inside and out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this question. please don't solve it for me, but if you could point me in the right direction to try and solve this i would be grateful.

You might start by finding the total magnetic field (what is the field of aa magnetic dipole) and the finding where it is zero:wink:

1. What is a dipole in a magnetic field?

A dipole in a magnetic field is a system where two opposite magnetic poles are present, creating a magnetic field around them.

2. How is a dipole affected by a magnetic field?

A dipole in a magnetic field experiences a torque, which causes it to align itself with the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the magnetic dipole moment.

3. What factors determine the strength of the magnetic dipole moment?

The strength of the magnetic dipole moment is determined by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the two poles, and the angle between the dipole and the magnetic field.

4. Can a dipole be created in a non-uniform magnetic field?

Yes, a dipole can be created in a non-uniform magnetic field. In this case, the dipole will experience a net force as well as a torque, causing it to move and rotate.

5. How is a dipole different from a monopole in a magnetic field?

A dipole has two poles, while a monopole only has one. This means that a dipole can experience a torque in a magnetic field, while a monopole cannot. Additionally, a dipole has a magnetic dipole moment, while a monopole does not.