1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole in a sphere

1. Jun 12, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I have problems solving this:
    Given: A sphere(Radius R) with a mathematical dipole in its center. I have to find the charge distribution on the sphere´s surface,

[tex] \sigma(r,\phi,\theta) [/tex]

so that the resulting potential is zero for r>R. I think that
    [tex] \sigma(r,\phi,\theta)=\sigma(\theta) [/tex]
    ,but I have no idea how to find this special charge distribution(I suppose it is unique). I know the electric field of a dipole, but that doesn´t help much.
    If anybody has an idea, please tell me!
    Greets
    Jonas

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Superposition. There is a relationship between surface charge density and the normal component of the electric field that it generates. The dipole will also generate an electric field with a component normal to the sphere. You want the field of your surface charge to cancel the field for the dipole.

It is as you say: the surface charge density depends only on the polar angle.

To find the field due to the dipole, you can either look it up, or do a limit as a -> 0 and qa = constant, where a is the separation between two equal and opposite charges, q and -q.

4. Jun 14, 2004 #3
    Hi,

thanks for the answer.
    The normal component of the dipole field is
    [tex] E_r=\frac{qd 2 cos(\theta)}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]
    So I thought of choosing

[tex] \sigma(\theta)=-\frac{qd 2 cos(\theta)}{4\pi R^3} [/tex]

then the normal component should be cancelled out according to the following law:

[tex] n(E_o-E_i)=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

where E_o is the normal component outside(=0) and E_i the normal component inside. n is the unit normal vector.

But one professor of our university solved this problem too and he has the following result:

[tex] \sigma(\theta)=-\frac{qd 3 cos(\theta)}{4\pi R^3} [/tex]

He has a 3 instead of a 2, so my solution seems to be wrong.
    So I´m still confused:(
    Jonas

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Jun 16, 2004 #4

reilly

Science Advisor

The dipole moment of a sphere with radius R and a dipole charge distribution of C0=D0 * cos(theta) is (4pi/3)(R**3)D0. (this follows from the standard integral for a dipole moment) If this is to be equal and opposite to the original dipole moment, p0, then

D0 = p0 (3/4pi)/R**3

So the 3 is correct.
    Regards,
    Reilly Atkinson

6. Jun 16, 2004 #5
    Ok, thanks!

I see now that my first way to solve the problem was wrong.
    Ciao
    Jonas

7. Jun 16, 2004 #6

reilly

Science Advisor

Jonas -- Sorry , I fogot the minus sign in the sphere's dipole moment. RA

8. Jun 16, 2004 #7
    No prob,
    I got the idea of your solution, so I noticed that on my own.
    Jonas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook