1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole layer help

1. Sep 21, 2003 #1
    (Sorry for the duplicate post but I couldn't delete the old one in classical physics and didn't see this forum until I posted the original)

This is a homework question so please do not just tell me the answer, but please point me in the right direction.

A dipole layer, D(y,z), exists on the plane x=0. Find the boundary conditions (discontinuities, if any) for [phi](x,y,z), E_x(x,y,z),
    E_y(x,y,z), and E_z(x,y,z) across the plane x=0. In view of this result do you believe in the boundary condition that the tangential component of E is contiuous across a boundary? Review the derivation of the boundary condition and see if and where the derivation breaks down.

When I read the first part of the problem I was content with how to solve it. The potential is discontinuous by D/[epsilon_0]. Then I would argue using typical boundary value knowledge that E_y and E_z are continuous and that E_x should be discontinuous. But after finishing reading the problem, it seems that my so called "notions" of the situation might be incorrect. Where do I start with finding the Electric Field components? I am very confused and any help would be very appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2003 #2
    Well, I guess no one knew how to solve this (so it goes with internet help I guess).

Anyways here was my solution method:

You know that the potential has a discontinuity of D/[epsilon_0]. Since you are looking at an infinite plate of charge (think of dipole layer as a sheet of positive sigma, parallel and infinitely close to a sheet of of negative sigma.) By symmetry, if you were to rotate the sheet still in the x=0 plane, the Electric Field should not vary, since we are talking about a dipole layer that doesn't vary with position. Therefore the Electric Field should only be in the x direction. Therefore, E_y and E_z are both zero. The x component of the Electric Field (E_x) has a discontinuity of 2*[sigma]/[epsilon_0] at x=0 boundary. This is seen by carefully examining the field inside and outside our boundary.
    Sorry this is abreviated, have to teach in a couple of minute.

Anyone know if this is correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?