Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dipole moment component

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Hi everybody,

I want to ask a question about the dipole moment vector ##\vec{d}##, with components expressed in the molecule-fixed axis. By permuting identical nuclei that compose a rigid molecule, I know how ##d_x##, ##d_y##, ##d_z## change.
    But when dealing with non-rigid molecule, I no longer know how to direct the molecule fixed- axis?

Thank you everybody.

Konte

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2
    Could you work with expectation values?

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    How? What does you mean?

Konte.

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In molecular mechanics, what is meant by rigid is usually the assumption that the molecule only rotates in space without any vibration or at least vibrates with very small amplitude. In reality of course the molecule vibrates and hence the concept of rigid molecule no longer applies however for some low vibrational quantum numbers where the vibrational eigenfunction is more localized around the equilibrium position, you can take the equilibrium position to determine the axis.

6. Apr 2, 2017 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Look out for "Sayvez conditions".

7. Apr 2, 2017 #6
    Thank you guys for your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted