Calculating the Dipole Moment of LiBr

In summary, The bond length of LiBr is 255 pm. The dipole moment of this compound, assuming an ionic bond, would be 0.4086 D. This can be calculated by multiplying the charge of an electron by the bond length (in picometers) converted to meters, and then converting the units to D.
stacker
Dipole Moment!

Ok I'm very tired because I've spent the past 50 minutes trying to figure out a problem that should take only 5. Someone please just take 2 minutes of your time to save me 20 more minutes. THis is a simple problem yet I cannot do it on my own, without my textbook and with what vague description there is on the internet.

"The bond length of LiBr is 255 pm. What would be the dipole moment, in D, of this compound assuming an ionic bond?"

I've tried using this equation of multiplying the charge of an electron by the bond length (in picometers) converted to meters. I got the wrong answer: 4.086 x 10 ^ -29.

That is, I multiplied "1.60217646 × 10-19 coulombs" by "255 x 10 ^ -29"

Physics news on Phys.org

Yup, that's the right answer. Don't spend any more time on this; the answer sheet probably made a mistake.

Edit Forget my comment.

stacker said:
"The bond length of LiBr is 255 pm. What would be the dipole moment, in D, of this compound assuming an ionic bond?"
You calculated the answer in C*m units, but they wanted it in units of D. You need to convert the units.

1. What is the formula for calculating the dipole moment of LiBr?

The formula for calculating the dipole moment of LiBr is μ = Q × d, where μ is the dipole moment, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and d is the distance between the charges.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of the charge in the calculation?

The magnitude of the charge in the calculation is determined by the difference in electronegativity between the two atoms. In the case of LiBr, the charge on the lithium ion is +1 and the charge on the bromine ion is -1.

3. What units are typically used to express the dipole moment?

The dipole moment is typically expressed in units of Debye (D). One Debye is equal to 3.33564 × 10^-30 coulomb meters (C·m).

4. Can the dipole moment of LiBr be measured experimentally?

Yes, the dipole moment of LiBr can be measured experimentally using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or microwave spectroscopy.

5. How does the dipole moment of LiBr compare to other molecules?

The dipole moment of LiBr is relatively small compared to other molecules, with a value of 0.15 D. This is due to the small difference in electronegativity between lithium and bromine.