1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole Moments

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there, I am kind of new to this site, so please bear with me. On the more advanced physics forum page, there was a question about dipole moments, and the way the help had been described was a bit over my head. I am posting this for clarification purposes because this is something that we have recently talked about in class. I will just use satchmo05's problem so I can see the relevance to the more advanced help:

I understand how to find the magnitude thanks to nickjer's help, but I still do not understand how to find the direction of this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

The magnitude makes sense to me. In order to have no radial component to match up with the z-axis aligned E-field, the theta angle in the E equation needs to be 90 degrees. I got lost when they started talking about the phi angle. Can someone please simplify this down for me so that a beginner like me can understand this? Thank you for all help included in this post!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook