Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole or folded dipole?

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hello there,
    I know that folded dipole is used ofr a good matching in antenna systems. Is there a freqeuncy range for them to be used more efficiently? Or can we use both of them in the similar freqeuncy ranges?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"efficiently" without a defined goal is a rather ambiguous term.

If you are looking for information on antenna design I would suggest the ARRL Handbook.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It looks like the folded dipole has a little higher gain and broader bandwidth, but I didn't do much checking past this wikipedia page. My antenna books are at home at the moment, and I'm at work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna#Folded_dipole

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any antenna with gain is directional.
    Depending on the requirements, this can be counter productive.

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.. You'll find lots of interesting discussions here, as well as generally helpful advice.

Here is some additional food-for-thought on folded dipoles.
    ref01, ref02

As far as frequency range goes. My thoughts are their characteristics are independant of frequency. Though lower frequency of operation (< 7MHz) translate to longer element lengths, which can be a cost consideration (you're virtually doubling the length over a standard dipole). Element stability will also become problematic (maintaining element spacing, wind-loading considerations)

7. Nov 7, 2006 #6

Thank you all for your quick replies, we are supposed to design a yagi uda antenna working at 2,5 GHz. I tried to find the answer whether i can use the simple dipole at this freqeuncy or do i have to use folded dipole. It seems that simple dipole can be used. Since the construction will be easier, i decided to use simple dipole...

Thanks again to you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?