Solving the Electric Field of a Dipole - A Thundercloud Scenario

In summary, the conversation is about solving a question regarding the electric field at the ground below a thundercloud represented by a vertical dipole. The speaker suggests using the method of images and shares the formula for the electric field of a dipole. The conversation ends with a discrepancy in the calculated answer and the expected answer.
Willa
I'm stuck on a question involving dipoles and what I am guessing to be the method of images...here goes:

The electrical system of a thundercloud can be represented by a vertical dipole consisting of a charge +40C at a height of 10km and a charge of -40C vertically below it at a height of 6km. What is the electric field at the ground immediately below the cloud, treating the ground as a perfect conductor?

To tackle this question I tried using the method of images to create an image dipole on the other side of the ground. Then using the formula for the E field of a dipole:

E = 1/(4pie0r^5)(3p.rr - r^2p)

Summing the two dipole electric fields, and taking into account the coefficient in the r must go to 0 so that there is no horizontal electric field, I get:

E = -p/(2pie0r^3)

But using the values given, I do not get the answer which is supposed to be 12.8kV, what have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
12.8kV ? That's the wrong units for a field.

PS : Post your textbook questions in the Coursework forum above.

I meant kVm-1

I get 12.8 kV/m, if I just find the field due to each charge (and it's image) and add the numbers.

I get 11.25 kV/m using the dipole equation you posted. I think you forgot a factor of 2 (when you add the field from the image). However, isn't this formula accurate only in the limit r >> a ?

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. It is a type of electric field that is commonly found in nature, such as in thunderclouds.

2. How do you solve for the electric field of a dipole?

The electric field of a dipole can be solved using the formula E = k(q/r^2), where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges. This formula can be applied to each point around the dipole to determine the overall electric field.

3. Can you explain the thundercloud scenario in relation to a dipole?

In a thundercloud, there are typically regions of positive and negative charges separated by a distance. This creates a dipole electric field, with the positive charges at the top of the cloud and the negative charges at the bottom. As the cloud moves, this dipole electric field can interact with other objects on the ground, resulting in lightning strikes.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the electric field of a dipole?

The electric field strength of a dipole is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. So, a dipole with charges that are closer together will have a stronger electric field compared to one with charges that are further apart.

5. What other factors can affect the electric field of a dipole in a thundercloud scenario?

The charge magnitude of the two charges in the dipole and the distance between the dipole and other objects can also affect the electric field. Additionally, the shape of the cloud and other weather conditions can also impact the electric field strength.