1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole radiation

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I an reading an interesting chapter of Feyman where he explains the basis of light-matter interaction with wave theory: http://cua.mit.edu/8.421_S08/Reading/Feyman_refr_index.pdf

I didn't understand there one thing... to explain it he says that all the dipoles on the plate ''feel'' the same electric field with the same phase [page 4, equation 31.10]. to say this the plate has to be very very very thin [something like 0.1 of the wavelength]... how this can be practical??

Lior

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

On the first page, about halfway down, he writes:

I added the boldface to point out the key word in his assumptions. He's assuming the plate is indeed very very thin, much less than a wavelength. It's not very practical, but one can build a more practical solution from it by integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook