Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diprotons or dineutrons donot exist?

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    Can any one explain why diprotons or dineutrons donot exist,while a bound state of deuteron exist?

Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
    It depends at what level your question is. I mean that searches for dibaryons in general are still performed, because there are theoretical motivations. So telling you "those do not exist" is a bit partial...

At least for the diproton, you can easily imagine that this bound state is extremely similar to the deuterium which (for electrical repulsion) is more stable than the diproton. So a diproton would decay very very very rapidely to a deuterium.
  4. Nov 15, 2004 #3
    My question is in context of exitence of a bound state of two nucleons. A bound state of a neutron and proton exist similarly a bound state of two portons or two neutrons does no exist, that is what I have read? So why it cannot exist?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?