Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dirac algebra help

1. Dec 25, 2017 #1
    I have a question regarding the Dirac notation arithmetic. Below is a measurement of a general 2 qubit state with the measurement operator M=|0><0| ⊗ I , where I is the identity operator. To go from equation (2) to equation (3), I've been converting all the Dirac notation to matrices and column vectors and then carrying out the arithmetic, but this is very cumbersome. Is there a more simple way to go through the arithmetic with the Dirac notation to directly solve (2) for (3) instead of first converting? Thanks for looking.

Prob = <ψ|M† M |ψ > (1)
    = (α ∗ <00| + β ∗ <01| + γ ∗ <10| + δ ∗ <11|) (|0><0| ⊗ I) (α |00>+ β |01>+ γ |10>+ δ |11>) (2)
    = (α ∗ <00| + β ∗ <01|) (α |00>+ β |01>) (3)
    = |α|^2 + |β|^2 (4)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

##M## is clearly a projection onto the space spanned by states on the form ##|0x\rangle = |0\rangle \otimes |x\rangle##. As such, it should be clear that
    $$
    |\phi\rangle = M|\psi\rangle = \alpha |00\rangle + \beta |01\rangle
    $$
    and therefore ##\langle \phi| = \langle \psi| M^\dagger = \alpha^* \langle 00| + \beta^* \langle 01|##, leading directly to your end result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted