Confusion Surrounding Dirac Delta Comb Sampling: Why is δ(0) Infinite?

In summary, the Dirac delta is a well-defined mathematical function, but it has a different representation depending on the context in which it is used. It can be sampled without the integration, but this is not its most common representation.
Terocamo
I have recently digged up a post in the forum about a confusion arise from definition of Dirac Delta function and I am actually really bothered by it (link to the thread).

When people talk about sampling some function f(x) with Dirac Comb, or impulse train, they would be talking about the product of f(x) and the Dirac Comb:

$$f'(x)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\cdot\delta(x-nT)$$

And as we all know δ(0)=infinite instead of 1, this doesn't make sense to me since III(x) would be a train of infinite instead of 1.
However, Wikipedia and some textbooks about Signal Processing almost always leave out the integration as in the definition of Dirac Delta:
$$f(X)=\int^\infty_{-\infty}\delta(x-X)\cdot f(x)dx$$

I understand that Dirac Delta is not well defined in mathematics, but when I think deeply, I don't see the why Dirac Delta have to be infinite at x=0. Why Dirac use +infinite instead of 1 or any other values? And can it really sample a function without the integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Dirac function needs to be normalized. And 'infinitely' narrow. Hence the function value -- which is 'never' used. All we use is multiplication in one domain and convolution in the other. I'm not a mathematician, but I don't think there is any ambiguity about the Dirac function.

Some of the confusion in the thread you mention is because they do Osgood injustice, perhaps because upon casual reading ##\partial * \rho## is misread as a multiplication instead of a convolution.

Depending on your interests (fundamental math or application) I wouldn't worry too much about the distribution aspects and follow the mainline arguments. But then, I'm a physicist...

Terocamo,

Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that there are two different ways to represent the ideal sampling of a continuous time function ## f(t)##. One way is to represent the sampled function as another function of continuous time, ## f_s(t) ## , for which we will want do to standard continuous time Fourier transforms and other operations such as integration and/or differentiation. For this representation we sample with the Shah function:
[tex]
f_s(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)\delta(t-nT)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(nT) \delta(t-nT)
[/tex]
This is useful for doing things like proving the sampling rate required to avoid aliasing, etc. For this case, you shouldn't think about the "value" of ##f_s(t)## at any particular time - thinking about "infinities" isn't helpful here.

On the other hand, we can take our continuous time function and represent the sampled function as a discrete time function, ## f_s[m] ##. This is just a sequence of numbers: one number for each integer ##m##. The ideal sampling in this case is simply ##f_s[m] = f(mT) ##. We cannot take the continuous time Fourier transform of this, or integrate it, etc. But we can do discrete-time Fourier transforms, discrete Fourier transforms (DFT), Z-transforms, etc. This discrete-time representation is usually what we think of when dealing with actual sampled and quantized data on a computer.

jason

Last edited:
Terocamo said:
I understand that Dirac Delta is not well defined in mathematics, but when I think deeply, I don't see the why Dirac Delta have to be infinite at x=0. Why Dirac use +infinite instead of 1 or any other values? And can it really sample a function without the integration?
The Dirac delta is indeed well defined in mathematics - it is included in the theory of distributions (also called generalized functions). Chapter 4 of the lecture notes by Osgood give an nice outline of distribution theory that is accessible to engineers. If you are really interested you should read the notes.

jason

jasonRF said:
The Dirac delta is indeed well defined in mathematics - it is included in the theory of distributions (also called generalized functions). Chapter 4 of the lecture notes by Osgood give an nice outline of distribution theory that is accessible to engineers. If you are really interested you should read the notes.

jason

I came across a page which brings me a whole new of perspective towards Dirac Delta. I shouldn't have treated Dirac Delta simply like a function but, as you said, a distribution. It is then clear to me that the "value" of Dirac Delta itself doesn't seems to be important and that the integral is kind of like a heuristic property given to overcome physical problems. Thanks man

Good conclusion, I would say. The dirac thing is a very useful tool and you can deal with it almost as if it were a function. Now that you know what you can and can't do with it it is a good extension of your 'toolbox'!

1. What is a Dirac Delta Comb?

A Dirac Delta Comb is a mathematical concept used to represent an idealized periodic pulse train. It is made up of a series of Dirac delta functions (also known as impulse functions) spaced evenly apart from each other.

2. How is a Dirac Delta Comb different from a regular comb?

A regular comb has evenly spaced teeth, while a Dirac Delta Comb has evenly spaced impulses. This means that the values of a Dirac Delta Comb are zero everywhere except at the locations of the impulses, where they are infinitely large.

3. What is the purpose of using a Dirac Delta Comb?

Dirac Delta Combs are often used in mathematical modeling and signal processing. They can be used to represent periodic signals or to approximate a continuous signal by sampling it at regular intervals.

4. Are Dirac Delta Combs the same as Dirac Delta functions?

No, they are not the same. A Dirac Delta Comb is made up of a series of Dirac Delta functions, but they are not interchangeable. The Dirac Delta Comb is a discrete function while the Dirac Delta function is continuous.

5. Are there any practical applications of Dirac Delta Combs?

Yes, Dirac Delta Combs have many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used in digital signal processing, electronic circuit design, and image reconstruction algorithms.