1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dirac Delta δ(sin(ωx))?

1. Oct 16, 2017 #1
    If we were to replace δ(x), the orginal Dirac Delta, with δ(sin(ωx)), what would be the result?

Would we have an infinite spike everywhere on the graph of sinx where x is a multiple integer of π/ω? and 0 everywhere else?

I apologize in advance if I had posted in the wrong category.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Seems reasonable that ##\delta(\sin(\omega x))## would be infinite wherever ##\omega x## is an odd multiple of ##\pi/2##, and zero everywhere else. In other words, where ##x = \frac{(2k + 1)\pi}{2\omega}##, with k in the integers.

4. Oct 16, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. For a fuction ##f(x)## with a countable set of zeroes ##x_i##, it holds that
    $$
    \delta(f(x)) = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f’(x_i)|}
    $$

5. Oct 16, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The zeroes of the sine function are integer multiples of pi.

6. Oct 16, 2017 #5
    Thank you guys for answering my question. Very much appreciated.

7. Oct 16, 2017 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Speaking very loosely, the answer is yes.

Speaking more carefully, the dirac delta is a distribution, not a function, and only gives a value when included in an integral. That is
    ##\int_a^b\delta(x)f(x)dx## is equal to ##f(0)## if ##a\leq 0 \leq b## and to zero otherwise. So your question could be expressed more precisely as:
    what is the value of ##\int_a^b \delta(\sin\omega x)f(x)dx##?

This can be answered by substitution. Set ##u=\sin\omega x## so that ##du=\omega\cos x\,dx=\omega\sqrt{1-u^2}\,dx##. Then the Dirac delta part of the integrand becomes just ##\delta(u)##.

We'll end up with an answer that is equal to the sum of the values of ##f(x)## for all values of ##x## in ##[a,b]## that are multiples of ##\pi/\omega##.

8. Oct 17, 2017 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Doh!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted