1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta dimensionless?

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Probably a trivial question, but does Dirac delta function has (to have always) a physical dimension or is it used just as a auxiliary construct to express e.g. sudden force impulse, i.e. Force = Impulse \times \delta, where 'Impulse' carries the dimension?
    Any comments would be highly appreciated.
    FP

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

When people use the word 'Dirac delta function', they usually mean the function which acts like this:
    [tex] \int_{- \infty}^\infty f(t) \delta(t-T)dt=f(T)[/tex]
    Which is something different to what you're talking about. If I'm right, you're talking about Impulse=force times (small time interval), i.e.
    [tex]I=F \ \delta t [/tex]
    In this case, the delta just signifies that the time interval is very small, and if we take it to be infinitesimally small, we get:
    [tex]dI=Fdt[/tex]
    Which allows us to calculate the change in momentum when a non-constant force is applied.

So in this case, the delta carries the dimension of time. But I guess the use of delta doesn't always have to have dimension. (For example, it could be used to express a small change in some dimensionless ratio of parameters).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook