1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta function (DE problem) solved

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    NOTE: I actually found the correct answer while I was typing this :rolleyes: and since I already had it typed, I figured i would post anyway. mods you can do with it as you please or leave it for reference. thanks

Here's the problem:

A uniform beam of length L carries a concentrated load [tex]w_{0}[/tex] at [tex]x=\frac{1}2{L}[/tex]. The beam is embedded at its left end and is free at its right end. Use the Laplace transform to determine the deflection y(x) from [tex]EI\frac{d^4y}{dx^4}=w_{0}\delta(x-\frac{L}2)[/tex] where [tex]y(0)=0, y'(0)=0, y''(L)=0, y'''(L)=0[/tex].

Here is what I did: let [tex]y''(0)=c_{1}, y'''(0)=c_{2}[/tex]

[tex]EI(s^4Y(s)-s^3y(0)-s^2y'(0)-sy''(0)-y'''(0))=w_0e^{\frac{-LS}2[/tex]

[tex]s^4Y(s)-sc_1-c_2=\frac{w_0}{EI}e^\frac{-LS}2[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)=\frac{w_0}{EIs^4}e^{\frac{-LS}2}+\frac{c_1}{s^3}+\frac{c_2}{s^4}[/tex]

[tex]y(x)=\frac{w_0}{6EI}(x-\frac{L}2)^3U(x-\frac{L}2)+\frac{c_1x^2}2+\frac{c_2x^3}6[/tex]

[tex]y'(x)=\frac{w_0}{2EI}(x-\frac{L}2)^2U(x-\frac{L}2)+c_1x+\frac{c_2x^2}2[/tex]

[tex]y''(x)=\frac{w_0}{EI}(x-\frac{L}2)U(x-\frac{L}2)+c_1+c_2x[/tex]

[tex]y'''(x)=\frac{w_0}{EI}U(x-\frac{L}2)+c_2[/tex]

[tex]y''(L)=\frac{Lw_0}{2EI}+c_1+c_2L=0[/tex]

[tex]y'''(L)=\frac{w_0}{EI}+c_2=0[/tex]

[tex]c_2=\frac{-w_0}{EI}[/tex]

[tex]c_1=\frac{Lw_0}{2EI}[/tex]

[tex]y(x)=\frac{w_0}{6EI}(x-\frac{L}2)^3U(x-\frac{L}2)+\frac{Lw_0x^2}{4EI}-\frac{w_0x^3}{6EI}[/tex]

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted