1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Delta Function Proof

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeltaFunction.html

I want to show (6) on that page. I can show it using (7), but we aren't supposed to do that. I already proved (5), and my prof says to use the fact that (5) is true to get the answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's what I tried:
    δ(x2 - a2) = δ((x-a)(x+a))

I'm not sure how to use (5), because here a is not multiplying x. I'm not sure where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    Imagine what the delta look like in the neighborhood of a and -a, i.e., when one factor goes to zero, the other factor is pretty much constant over that entire neighborhood.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    I don't really know what it looks like. I know that δ(x) is zero everywhere except at x = 0. At x = 0, it's infinity.

I know that δ(x-a) is the same as above except that now it's infinity at x = a.

But I don't know what δ(x2) looks like.

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Near x=a, δ((x-a)(x+a)) pretty much looks like δ((x-a)*2a). That's sunjin09's point.

6. Mar 15, 2012 #5
    I don't understand why it looks like that though. I am having problems visualizing it.

I don't get how you know what it looks like unless it's just δ(x) or δ(x-a) by itself.

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Near x=a, (x+a) is nearly 2a. You can't visualize that?

8. Mar 15, 2012 #7
    Ohh okay, I see that near x = a, (x+a) is about 2a. So we're just making an approximation and plugging it into the delta function, is that right?

I wasn't sure what the delta function itself looked like, not what x+a looks like.

9. Mar 15, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think you are ok with hand waving through this. Near x=(-a) the value of (x-a) is nearly -2a. So split it into two delta functions at the two values where x^2-a^2 vanishes.

10. Mar 15, 2012 #9
    Alright, that makes a lot more sense now. So basically, we're saying:

δ((x-a)(x+a)) = δ((x-a)*2a) + δ((x+a)*(-2a))

Is it okay to do that because it's zero elsewhere (within the delta function)?

11. Mar 15, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think it's ok to do that because it's zero elsewhere. It's not a formal proof, but the answer is correct.

12. Mar 16, 2012 #11
    The idea is δ(f(x)) is zero except at f(x0)=0, so all that matters is the local behavior of f(x) near x0, so you can approximate f(x) around x0 by f(x)≈f'(x0)(x-x0). Since all the zeros of f(x) must be accounted for, you easily derive the general formula (7) mentioned in your original post. This is certainly not a formal proof, as Dick pointed out, but I think you can have a formal but still not rigorous proof by using a test function, i.e., try evaluate ∫ δ(f(x))*g(x) dx and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?