Explaining Dirac Delta Function: \vec A

In summary: So, since d/dx, d/dy, and d/dz are all integrals, the result is that LAP holds and the delta function is a distribution.In summary, the Dirac Delta function is a function that is always the same. It does not rely on any other function. It can be proven that the Green's function for an oO domain (R^{3}) for the Poisson equation is: G(\vec{r},\vec{r'})=\frac{1}{4\pi|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} (2).
Reshma
Can someone explain me the Dirac Delta function for the function:

[tex]\vec A = \frac{\hat r}{r^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't seem to make sense. The Dirac Delta Function is always the same. It doesn't rely on any other function.

I'm sorry, the given function is the Dirac delta function. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks for the link, Vivek. But it did not completely solve my problem. The proofs given in most texts are too mathematical. I need a more physical interpretation of the problem.

what is your question?
your question doesn't make sense at all?

Reshma said:
Can someone explain me the Dirac Delta function for the function:

[tex]\vec A = \frac{\hat r}{r^2}[/tex]

I believe You want to interpret its curl or div in terms of Dirac Delta Function

[tex]\vec{\nabla} X \vec A [/tex]

Last edited:
Reshma said:
Thanks for the link, Vivek. But it did not completely solve my problem. The proofs given in most texts are too mathematical. I need a more physical interpretation of the problem.

Yes they are mathematical because of the very definition of DDF. Strictly, it is not a function but it is considered a function. If you want good physical interpretations of its applications, get a copy of Classical Electrodynamics by Griffiths and read the first chapter (I think its called mathematical preliminaries but I'm not very sure).

Hope that helps...

cheers
vivek

Perhaps you (Reshma) are asking for a proof that the charge (density) distribution that produces this field is a dirac-delta function (about the origin) ? The given field itself is not a dirac-delta.

It can be proven really easily that the Green's function for an oO domain (R^{3}) for the Poisson equation:
[tex] \Delta V(\vec{r})=f(\vec{r}) [/tex](1)

is:[tex] G(\vec{r},\vec{r'})=\frac{1}{4\pi|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} [/tex](2)

And incidentally,the field,being the -gradient of the solution of (1),can be put in connection to (2)...

Daniel.

himanshu121 said:
I believe You want to interpret its curl or div in terms of Dirac Delta Function

[tex]\vec{\nabla} X \vec A [/tex]

Yes, you are right. I want an interpretation of the divergence of the given function.

maverick280857 said:
Yes they are mathematical because of the very definition of DDF. Strictly, it is not a function but it is considered a function. If you want good physical interpretations of its applications, get a copy of Classical Electrodynamics by Griffiths and read the first chapter (I think its called mathematical preliminaries but I'm not very sure).

Hope that helps...

cheers
vivek

Yes I do have Griffith's book which has described the above function over a sphere using Green's theorem.

You want the proof that the [itex] \nabla \cdot \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}} [/itex] is proportional (it's a "-1" the coefficient of proportionaliry,IIRC) to delta-Dirac...?

That's a pretty delicate matter.It's not really for physicists...Any book on PDE-s should have it,when discussing Laplace & Poisson equations.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You want the proof that the [itex] \nabla \cdot \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}} [/itex] is proportional (it's a "-1" the coefficient of proportionaliry,IIRC) to delta-Dirac...?

That's a pretty delicate matter.It's not really for physicists...Any book on PDE-s should have it,when discussing Laplace & Poisson equations.

Daniel.

I am extremely sorry for stretching this thread this far :frown:
I only want to know the proof for:

[tex] \nabla \cdot\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{2}} [/tex]

With a little physical interpretation...

That is something else...As u can yourself check...

Turning to the original question,i can add:except for the origin,where the fraction to whom you apply the diff.operator is not defined,the result is zero.However,as [tex] \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}} [/tex] is the Green function for the Poisson equation for R^{3},it can be shown that,in fact:

[tex] \nabla\cdot\frac{-\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=-4\pi\delta(\vec{r}) [/tex]

As for physical significance,please,check (as you probably already have) Griffiths' book.Or Jackson's...

Daniel.

Last edited:
[tex] \nabla \cdot \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} =
\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r^2 \cdot \frac{1}{r^2} \right) = 0 [/tex]

everywhere, except the origin, where we have a point of non-differentiability.

By integrating over the volume of a sphere, and applying the divergence theorem, we see

[tex] \int_V \nabla \cdot \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi
= \oint_S \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} \cdot \hat{r} r^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi
= \oint_S \sin \theta d\theta d\phi = 4\pi
[/tex]

independent of the radius of the sphere. Thus integration over any volume including the origin gives 4*pi, and any other volume gives zero. A function which satisfies this would be 4*pi times a delta function located at the origin. Thus, [tex] \nabla \cdot \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} = 4 \pi \delta({\vec{r}}) [/tex]

Physicist's are more than adequately capable of dealing with delta functions, Green's functions, and the like. About delta functions, step functions, absolute values, derivatives, all termed distributions, mathematicians told us that they only make sense when multiplied by normal functions (x, sinx,...) and integrated. (See, for example the classic by Lighthill, Fourier Analysis and Generalized Functions -- every physicist should read this book. But, the mathematician's work also provided justification for the formal algebra of step and delta functions used by engineers and physicists.

One of the standard older attacks dealing with delta functions and Poisson's Eq. starts with Green's Thrm -- first let ((d/dx)*d/dx + (d/dy)*d/dy +(d/dz)*d/dz) == LAP, and
dv1/dx + dv2/dy + dv3/dz == DIV v, v1 is the x component , etc.

Green tells us A *LAP B - B * LAP A == DIV (A GRAD B - B GRAD A)

Now integrate Green over a volume R, bounded by a closed surface S, and choose B to be the 1/r potential, and A to be a mathematically nice function, integrable, differentiable, single valued, and so forth. Rearrange so that you get

/
|dV *A* LAP (1/r) =
/

/
|dV (1/r) LAP A + surface terms.
/

r is the usual radial coordinate. The rest of the work, to show that the integral on the left = -4pi *A(0), is all about limits, as r->0. Pretty standard stuff for electrodynamics.

And, don't forget that until Dirac, there were no delta functions, so people used limits to get what we can get now in an easier fashion.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Last edited:
Thank you so much Kanato and Reilly! I completely got it now.

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to describe the distribution of a point mass or impulse at a specific point in space. It is characterized by being zero everywhere except at the point where it is defined, where it has an infinite value, and its integral over the entire real line is equal to one.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in physics?

In physics, the Dirac Delta Function is often used to model point particles, such as electrons, which have no size and are concentrated at a single point in space. It is also used to describe the probability distribution of a particle's position or momentum in quantum mechanics. The Dirac Delta Function also plays a role in electromagnetism, where it is used to represent electric and magnetic point charges.

3. What is the connection between the Dirac Delta Function and the vector potential, &vec;A?

The vector potential, &vec;A, is a mathematical quantity used to describe the magnetic field in electromagnetism. It is related to the magnetic field, &vec;B, through the equation &vec;B = ∇ × &vec;A. The Dirac Delta Function can be used to express the vector potential, where &vec;A = ∫ &vec;B × δ(x) dx, allowing for a more convenient representation of the magnetic field in certain situations.

4. Can the Dirac Delta Function be evaluated at points other than zero?

No, the Dirac Delta Function is undefined at points other than zero. It is a mathematical idealization that has a finite value only at the point where it is defined, and is zero everywhere else. However, it can be scaled and shifted to represent point masses at other locations.

5. What are some important properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

Some important properties of the Dirac Delta Function include:

• Normalization: ∫ δ(x) dx = 1
  • Even symmetry: δ(x) = δ(-x)
  • Scaling: δ(ax) = 1/|a| δ(x)
  • Shifting: δ(x - x0) = 0 for x ≠ x0
  • Sifting property: ∫ f(x) δ(x - x0) dx = f(x0)