1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta integral

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the integral:

[tex]\int_ {-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{e}^{ikx}\delta(k^2x^2-1)\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

none that I have

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't actually have any work by hand done for this because this is more complex than any dirac delta integral I have done...I assume that we must break down the x^2 in the delta function because there would be 2 roots, and thus, 2 answers? I'm not totally sure how to start this problem and can't find anything on the internet like it.

I know the delta function (from finding the roots of x) occurs at [tex]x=-1/k[/tex] and [tex]x=1/k[/tex]. But not sure where to go from there

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's something on the internet that's relevant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function Skip down to the "Composition with a function" section.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's very cool (in my estimation).

Direct link to the section Dick mentioned: LINK .

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4
    I ended up getting cos(k) as the final answer. Is that right?

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get that? It's not what I get.

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6
    thank you!

my last step before the final answer was [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ik}+e^{-ik}) = cos(k)[/tex]

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. But the cool reference I pointed you to says the delta function is the same as the sum of δ(1/k) and δ(-1/k) each divided by |g'| evaluated at those points. What happened to all of that stuff?

9. Jan 28, 2013 #8
    i started out with:

[tex]\delta[(x+1)(x-1)] = \frac{1}{2}[\delta(x+1)+\delta(x-1)][/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx}\delta(x+1)\,dx + \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx} \delta(x-1)\,dx [/tex]

from there i boiled it down to cos(k)

did I mess up in the beginning?

I just read your last post..sorry i was in the middle of typing this while you posted last. So i found this in the composition section function however as you point out it looks like I started off wrong and need the include the "k"

10. Jan 28, 2013 #9
    [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx}\delta(x+\frac{1}{k})\,dx + \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx} \delta(x-\frac{1}{k})\,dx [/tex]

that should be how I solve it using what you said, correct?

and the final solution i get is [tex] \frac{1}{2}[e^{i}+e^{-i}][/tex]

11. Jan 28, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if you had δ(x^2-1) that would be fine. But you have δ(k^2*x^2-1). Makes a difference. You had the right general idea originally that the delta function should involve x=1/k and x=(-1/k). You just need to correct that a little.

12. Jan 28, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're getting closer. Look at the |g'(x)| factor you are supposed to divide those delta functions by. g(x)=k^2*x^2-1.

13. Jan 28, 2013 #12
    oooohhhhh I gotcha, many, many thanks for the clarification

14. Jan 28, 2013 #13
    with your correction I got

[tex] \frac{1}{2xk^2}[e^i+e^{-i}][/tex]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  15. Jan 28, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Closer yet. But if g(x)=k^2*x^2-1, g'(x)=2*k^2*x. Putting x=1/k I get |g'(1/k)|=|2k|, not 2k^2.

16. Jan 28, 2013 #15
    Oh i see how you did that plugging in 1/k for x, I didnt think to do that

17. Jan 28, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. There shouldn't be any x in the final answer. You should put x=1/k,-1/k into g'(x) and the absolute value is pretty important.

18. Jan 28, 2013 #17
    [tex] \frac{1}{2k}[e^i+e^{-i}][/tex]

finally all good :D ?

19. Jan 28, 2013 #18
    [tex] \frac{1}{2k}[e^i+e^{-i}][/tex]

finally all good :D ?

sorry double posted by accident

20. Jan 28, 2013 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolute value. Absolute value. The bars around |g'| mean something. And you can simplify e^i+e^(-i) just like you did before.

21. Jan 28, 2013 #20
    many thanks for the help and putting up with my careless errors at midnight :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook