Dirac Delta Integrals: How to Solve for the Argument of the Delta Function?

In summary, when solving for an integral with limits of integration and an argument involving sine, the value of x that makes the argument 0 should be used. If the argument is outside the limits of integration, the integral will be 0. When using the formula σf(x) = Ʃ σ(x-xi)/|f'(xi)|, radians should always be used.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

This is just an example, not a specific problem.

So if I have ∫σ(sinx), for example, and my limits of integration are, for example, 1 to 10, what I need to do to solve that is to find a value of x that would make the argument of the delta function 0. So for sinx, 0 makes the argument 0. But since it's outside of the limits of integration, the integral would be 0, correct? What if my limits of integration are 1 to 10, and I input pi as the argument for sine? I'm unsure of what to input in for the x, because I have 1 to 10 in the limits of integration, so does that mean I use degrees instead of radians?

Or for that one do I use the formula which is σf(x) = Ʃ σ(x-xi)/|f'(xi)|?
If f(xi) = 0 and f'(xi) does not = 0.

Using that formula, I still have to decide whether to use radians as my x (pi) or degrees (180).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
But since it's outside of the limits of integration, the integral would be 0, correct?

Correct! And for your next question: you should always use radians; otherwise it is the angle*pi/180.

1. What is a Dirac delta integral?

A Dirac delta integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus and physics to describe a single point or impulse in a continuous function. It represents the limit of a sequence of functions, and is often used to simplify equations and calculations.

2. How is a Dirac delta integral represented mathematically?

A Dirac delta integral is typically represented by the symbol δ, which is often written as δ(x). It is defined as zero everywhere except at the point x=0, where it is infinite. The integral of δ(x) over an interval containing the point x=0 is equal to 1.

3. What is the significance of Dirac delta integrals in physics?

In physics, Dirac delta integrals are used to represent point particles or particles with zero size. They are also used to describe impulses or sudden changes in a system, such as a collision or a force acting on an object. They are essential in the field of quantum mechanics and have many applications in other areas of physics.

4. How are Dirac delta integrals used in solving differential equations?

Dirac delta integrals are often used in solving differential equations, particularly in the field of electrical engineering. They can be used to represent initial conditions or boundary conditions, and can help to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

5. Are Dirac delta integrals difficult to understand?

Dirac delta integrals can be challenging to understand at first, as they involve concepts such as infinity and the limit of a sequence of functions. However, with practice and a thorough understanding of calculus, they can be readily understood and applied in various fields of science and engineering.