Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    [tex]\delta(\frac{p_f^2}{2m}-E_i^o-\hbar\omega)=\frac{m}{p_f} \delta(p_f-[2m(E_i^o+\hbar\omega)]^{\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]

Shouldn't the right hand side be multiplued by 2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:surprised :surprised

Mr.QM+QFT guru,you f***ed up big time... :tongue:

Apply the THEORY:
    [tex] f(x):R\rightarrow R [/tex](1)
    only with simple zero-s (the algebraic multiplicies of the roots need to be 1).
    Let's denote the solutions of the equation
    [tex] f(x)=0 [/tex](2)
    by [itex] (x_{\Delta})_{\Delta={1,...,N}} [/itex] (3)
    and let's assume that:
    [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx}|_{x=x_{\Delta}} \neq 0 [/tex] (4)

Then in the theory of distributions there can be shown that:

[tex] \delta f(x)=\sum_{\Delta =1}^{N} \frac{\delta (x-x_{\Delta})}{|\frac{df(x)}{dx}|_{x=x_{\Delta}}|} [/tex] (5)

Read,Marlon...Read... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  4. Jan 27, 2005 #3
    is there anyone else that can solve this problem in a clear and more mature manner. It's been a while since i worked with distributions in this way and it seems quite interesting to me. Can someone tell me what i did wrong ?

thanks in advance

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] f(x)\rightarrow f(p_{f})=\frac{p_{f}^{2}}{2m}-E_{0}^{i}-\hbar\omega [/tex] (6)

Solving the equation
    [tex] f(p_{f})=0 [/tex] (7)

,yields the 2 solutions (which fortunately have the degree of multiplicity exactly 1)

[tex] p_{f}^{1,2}=\pm \sqrt{2m(E_{0}^{i}+\hbar\omega)} [/tex] (8)

Computing the derivative of the function on the solutions (8) of the equation (7),we get,after considering the modulus/absolute value:
    [tex] \frac{df(p_{f})}{dp_{f}}=\frac{\sqrt{2m(E_{0}^{i}+\hbar\omega)}}{m} [/tex] (9)

Combining (8),(9) and the general formula (5) (v.prior post),we get:

[tex] \delta (\frac{p_{f}^{2}}{2m}-E_{0}^{i}-m_{i})=\frac{m}{\sqrt{2m(E_{0}^{i}+\hbar\omega)}} \{\delta[p_{f}-\sqrt{2m(E_{0}^{i}+\hbar\omega)}]+\delta[p_{f}+\sqrt{2m(E_{0}^{i}+\hbar\omega)}]\} [/tex] (10)

which is totally different than what the OP had posted...

IIRC,when learning QFT,i always said to myself:theorem of residues and the thoery of distributions go hand in hand...

6. Jan 27, 2005 #5
    Indeed, i just looked up the rule at hand. I get the same solution and i see where i went wrong in my first post. thanks for the polite correction.

i deleted my erroneous post
  7. Jan 27, 2005 #6
    It's always nice to encounter the two of you in a post. All this harmony and warmth...
  8. Jan 27, 2005 #7
    yes, we really are the best of friends... :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?