Dirac equation, one question

In
https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node45.html
after
"Instead of an equation which is second order in the time derivative, we can make a first order equation, like the Schrödinger equation, by extending this equation to four components."

it is evident that the solution is obtained with help of ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)##

I cannot follow in this derivation, how rows ##\phi^{(L)}=...## and ##\phi^{(R)}=...## are used. Maybe more steps instead of these two rows will help.

Although I think that Feynmann once described this more clearly in his book about QED.

Can someone, please, gives a link or more clearly explains this type of derivation of Dirac equation?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I'm not sure what your point of confusion is. Do you understand that the following equations are true, by definition of ##\phi^{(R)}## and ##\phi^{(L)}## (plus the fact that ##\phi## obeys the second-order equation)?

##(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} - i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla) \phi^{(R)} = mc \phi^{(L)}##

##(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla)\phi^{(L)} = mc \phi^{(R)}##

Likes exponent137
I'm not sure what your point of confusion is. Do you understand that the following equations are true, by definition of ##\phi^{(R)}## and ##\phi^{(L)}## (plus the fact that ##\phi## obeys the second-order equation)?

##(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} - i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla) \phi^{(R)} = mc \phi^{(L)}##

##(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla)\phi^{(L)} = mc \phi^{(R)}##
If I put the second equation in the first one, I obtain:

##(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} - i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla)(i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}+ i \hbar \sigma \cdot \nabla)\phi^{(L)} = (mc)^2 \phi^{(L)}##

One problem is solved, I think that now I understand this derivation of these two rows, as I mentioned. Thanks.

I think that Feynmann used this type of calculation, as you wrote. But I think that he continued I little bit more cleary that in my link?