Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac equation

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    Hello there I have a problem about Dirac equation
    36725c97374cea9194a5e035be2c2b60.png
    So I wanna know what is matrices β,αk,pk value. And is it right that with Dirac equation we can calculate every particle spin and how we take dervitative of Ψ(x,t) and what is Ψ(x,t) value.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2
    The matrices ##\beta##, ##\alpha_k## are 4x4 Hermitian matrices and are defined by the Clifford algebra, which means that in this notation they satisfy ( {,} is the anticommutator and 1 is the unity matrix):

##\{\alpha^i,\alpha^j\} = 2 \delta^{ij}##
    ##\{\alpha^i,\beta\} = 0##
    ##\beta^2 = 1##

Their explicit matrix elements depend on which of these you want to make diagonal (Dirac representation, Chiral representation, Majorana representation...). The ##p^k## is not a matrix but the momentum operator which becomes a quantum operator in the form of a spatial derivative: so the one you posted is the free Dirac equation in which ##\psi## is the eigenfuction unknown, a bispinor (4 component spinor). Solving for ##\psi## in the Dirac representation you find (after a lengthy calculation) the normalized eigenfunctions for positive and negative energy eigenvalues. And then you can change representations using the appropriate transformation matrices.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    Thanks(;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook