Dirac Gamma matrices question

Homework Statement

Given that [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1[/itex] where [itex]1[/itex] is the identity matrix and the [itex]\gamma[/itex] are the gamma matrices from the Dirac equation, prove that:

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=2g_{\mu\nu}*1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]g^{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\nu}=\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}=\gamma_{\mu}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to start with. I tried expressing the terms of the relation to be proved as follows

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{\alpha}g_{\nu \beta}\gamma^{\beta}+ g_{\nu\beta}\gamma^{\beta}g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{ \alpha }[/itex]

but that isn't going anywhere. So how do I approach this?

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Hmm, just replace mu and nu with their possible values and see what you get. Don't forget that the metric tensor is diagonal (probably diag(+,-,-,-)).

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Given that [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1[/itex]
Another way to do it is to multiply both sides of this equation by [itex]g_{\alpha \mu} g _{\beta \nu}[/itex].

Thank you George Jones! That did the trick nicely. Using [itex]g_{\mu\alpha}g^{\alpha\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] the result follows easily.

dextercioby, thank you for replying. I think your method also works but I must assume the metric is diag(1, -1 , -1, -1) which is not always the case right?