1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Gamma matrices question

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1[/itex] where [itex]1[/itex] is the identity matrix and the [itex]\gamma[/itex] are the gamma matrices from the Dirac equation, prove that:

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=2g_{\mu\nu}*1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]g^{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\nu}=\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}=\gamma_{\mu}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure what to start with. I tried expressing the terms of the relation to be proved as follows

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{\alpha}g_{\nu \beta}\gamma^{\beta}+ g_{\nu\beta}\gamma^{\beta}g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{ \alpha }[/itex]

but that isn't going anywhere. So how do I approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, just replace mu and nu with their possible values and see what you get. Don't forget that the metric tensor is diagonal (probably diag(+,-,-,-)).

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another way to do it is to multiply both sides of this equation by [itex]g_{\alpha \mu} g _{\beta \nu}[/itex].

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    Thank you George Jones! That did the trick nicely. Using [itex]g_{\mu\alpha}g^{\alpha\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] the result follows easily.

dextercioby, thank you for replying. I think your method also works but I must assume the metric is diag(1, -1 , -1, -1) which is not always the case right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook