Deriving Dirac Hamiltonian with (+,---) Metric Signature

In summary, the two papers derive two different expressions for the Dirac Hamiltonian, but both use the (+,---) metric signature.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi can anyone explain how to derive an expression for the Dirac Hamiltonian, I thought the procedure was to use [itex] \mathcal{H}= i\psi^{\dagger}\Pi -\mathcal{L}[/itex], but in these papers the have derived two different forms of the Dirac equation [itex] H=\int d^{3}x \psi^{\dagger}i\partial_{0}\psi[/itex]http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9905242 and [itex] H=\int d^{3}x -\psi^{\dagger}i\partial_{0}\psi[/itex]http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0003045v3 yet both use the (+,---) metric signature.

a) does anyone know how to derive a Hamiltonian that only contains the [itex] \partial_0[/itex] operator?
b) is it possible to have this - sign in place using the same metric tensor convention?

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivation is simple, if you know the theory of Dirac (!) for constrained systems, as the Dirac field is an example of dynamical system with class II constraints.

Check out the textbook by Henneaux and Teitelboim. Even though it's particularly addressed to gauge systems, I suspect it has a general overview of all constrained systems.

Neither of these expressions is valid, since the hamiltonian must be expressed in terms of the coordinates and momenta, and not their time derivatives.

The Lagrangian is
[tex]\mathcal{L} = i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi - m\bar{\psi}\psi
[/tex]
[tex]
= i\bar{\psi}(-\gamma^0 \partial_0 + \gamma^i \partial_i )\psi - m\bar{\psi}\psi
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathcal{H} = \Pi \dot{\psi} - \mathcal{L}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
\Pi = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\psi}} = -i\psi^{\dagger}
[/tex]
then
[tex]
\mathcal{H} =- i\psi^{\dagger}\dot{\psi} - i\bar{\psi}(-\gamma^0 \partial_0 + \gamma^i \partial_i )\psi + m\bar{\psi}\psi = -i\bar{\psi}\gamma^i \partial_i \psi + m\bar{\psi}\psi
[/tex]
with metric [itex](-+++)[/itex]

thats what i though, which is why i am confused that the above papers don't have hamiltonians in that form.

Can you think of any reason why there hamiltonains have time derivatives?

1. How is the Dirac Hamiltonian derived using the (+,---) metric signature?

The Dirac Hamiltonian is derived using the (+,---) metric signature by starting with the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. The equation is then manipulated using the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to obtain the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the energy of a system. The (+,---) metric signature is used to account for the different behavior of particles with positive and negative energy.

2. What is the significance of the (+,---) metric signature in the derivation of the Dirac Hamiltonian?

The (+,---) metric signature is significant in the derivation of the Dirac Hamiltonian because it reflects the fundamental principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. The metric signature is used to account for the different behavior of particles with positive and negative energy, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of spin-1/2 particles.

3. Can the Dirac Hamiltonian be derived using a different metric signature?

Yes, the Dirac Hamiltonian can be derived using different metric signatures, such as the (-,---) or (+,+,+,-) signatures. However, the (+,---) signature is the most commonly used one as it accurately describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles and is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

4. What are some applications of the Dirac Hamiltonian derived with the (+,---) metric signature?

The Dirac Hamiltonian derived with the (+,---) metric signature has many applications in modern physics, including in quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is used to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, and has been instrumental in our understanding of matter and energy at the subatomic level.

5. Is the Dirac Hamiltonian derived with the (+,---) metric signature the only way to describe spin-1/2 particles?

No, there are other ways to describe spin-1/2 particles, such as the Weyl equation and the Majorana equation. However, the Dirac Hamiltonian derived with the (+,---) metric signature is the most widely accepted and used method due to its consistency with experimental observations and its ability to accurately describe the behavior of these particles.