Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Hydrogen atom

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hey I was reading through a text and came across:
    I can understand the second statement from the Pauli matrices... However I think that I don't understand the 1st statement as it is... why would the diagonal elements of an odd-operator be zero if parity is definite?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what they mean as "fixed" is actually "definite".

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Yup understand that... (a flaw in my translation :biggrin:)...I don't understand why the diagonal elements are zero.

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##A## is an odd operator and ##\pi## is a parity operator, then we have ##\pi^\dagger A \pi = -A##. If furthermore a state ##|\psi\rangle## which has a definite parity sandwhiches the expression ##\pi^\dagger A \pi = -A## from left and right in each side of the equation, you will get ##\langle \psi| A |\psi \rangle = -\langle \psi|A|\psi \rangle## because ##\langle \psi|\pi^\dagger A \pi|\psi \rangle = \langle \psi| A |\psi \rangle##. You see then we must require ##\langle \psi| A |\psi \rangle = 0## so that the previous relation can hold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook