Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac momentum density

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    How can I find the momentum density in the dirac field? Can someone show me, tell me how or give me a reference?

Preferably not in relativistically covariant notation; I found this expression for the momentum density G, and want to know where it comes from:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\frac{\hbar}{4i}[\psi^\dagger \nabla \psi + \psi^\dagger \mathbf{\alpha} (\mathbf{\alpha} \cdot \nabla)\psi]+hc [/tex]

with hc the hermitian conjugate of teh expression. This can be written using the commutation relations for the matrices [itex]\alpha_k[/itex]:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\frac{\hbar}{2i}[\psi^\dagger \nabla \psi -(\nabla \psi ^\dagger)\psi]+\frac{\hbar}{4}\nabla \times (\psi^\dagger \mathbf{\sigma} \psi)[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2
    Nobody has ever seen this before?

4. Nov 3, 2004 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U use the real Lagrangian density of the DIrac field and the expression for the momentum density given by Noether's theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?