1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Notation (Bra-Ket) basics

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    my apologies if this question should be posted in the math forum
    3-d space spanned by orthonormal basis: (kets) |1>, |2>, |3>. Ket |a> = i|1> - 2|2> - i|3>. Ket |b> = i|1> + 2|3>.

The question is to construct <a| and <b| in terms of the dual basis (kets 1,2,3)

2. Relevant equations
    given above

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my first time seeing this kind of notation, and I am honestly not quite sure what the question is asking. I read that <a| is a linear function of vectors and that when it acts on a ket it produces a dot product. This also means that the bra can be seen as an instruction to integrate. In order to produce <a| would I integrate a*a?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of the orthonormal basis kets as unit vectors in your 3-d space. A "ket" is a column vector and a "bra" is a row vector. In your example

|a> = i|1> - 2|2> - i|3>

says to me that the ordered "components" of "vector" |a> are (i, -2, -i). [Imagine this as a column 3x1 matrix - I don't know how o make matrices in Latex]. If you wanted to write the same thing as a bra you would say [and this is truly a row 1x3 vector]

<a| = (-i, -2, +i)

Note that the bra is the "complex-conjugate transpose" of the ket.

We write the inner product as a "bra-ket" just like the good-old dot product (matrix multiplication of the 1x3 times the 3x1 which gives a 1x1 or scalar)

<a|a>= (-i)*(i)+(-2)*(-2)+(+i)*(-i) = 1+4+1=6 (stars in this line mean "times" not "complex conjugate")

You can put in functions for |a> = fa(x), in which case

[tex]<a|a> =\int f^{*}_{a}(x)f_{a}(x)dx [/tex]

where the integration over the appropriate limits.

This should get you started.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    This makes sense. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook