1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Notation Eigenvalues

1. May 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the following question (see below)

2. Relevant equations
    The eigenvalue equation is Au = pu where u denotes the eigenstate and p denotes the eigenvalue

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the eigenvalues are +1 and - 1, and the states are (phi + Bphi) and (phi-Bphi)
    however I got this by just substituting these in from the symmetry of the operator.

Is there are neat algebraic way to work out the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions as opposed to just substitution?

I am stuck on working out how to express the 0 eigenvalue eigenstates in terms of the projection operator as well ...

Thank you very much

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2017 #2
    About the projection operator , I'm not very well versed in them but if |x> is an eigenvector of it's projection operator with an eigenvalue of 1 ,
    |x> <x| |x> = |x>
    and any vector orthogonal to the |x> shown above is an eigenvector with eigenvalue zero. Also if
    |x> <x| |A> = |x> <|A>
    then if A is our zero eigenstate it seems a little meaningless.
    Not sure how this fits in with a 0 value eigenstate though.
    Sorry if I'm wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted