Dirac Notation Help: Solve H, A, K Problems

In summary, Dirac notation is being studied in a quantum class and has proven to be an easy method for solving problems. However, there are still challenges with certain aspects, particularly when dealing with operators and projectors. The commutator of a Hermitian operator H and U(m,n) is calculated, and the relation for operators using Dirac notation is proven. Lastly, the operator K is defined and shown to be able to be written in the form of a projector. Some difficulties were encountered, but with some guidance, the solutions were found.
Hypnotoad
We are working on Dirac notation in my quantum class, and for the most part I see that it is a very easy way to do problems. But I am still getting stuck on how to deal with a few things on my current homework assignment. These come out of chapter 2 in the Cohen-Tannoudji book if you want to look them up.

#1. |[tex]\phi_{n}[/tex]> are eigenstates of a Hermitian operator H and they form a discrete orthonormal basis. The operator U(m,n) is defined by U(m,n)=|[tex]\phi_{m}[/tex]><[tex]\phi_{n}[/tex]|.

b. Calculate the commutator [H,U(m,n)].

I'm not really sure how to deal with this in such a general case. I get to the first step: [tex]H|\phi_{m}><\phi_{n}|-|\phi_{m}><\phi_{n}|H[/tex]

but I don't know where to go from there.

e. Let A be an operator, with matrix elements [tex]A_{mn}=<\phi_{m}|A|\phi_{n}>[/tex]

Prove the relation:[tex]A=\Sigma A_{mn}U(m,n)[/tex]

If I start with [tex]A_{mn}=<\phi_{m}|A|\phi_{n}>[/tex], is it legal to do this:

[tex]A_{mn}|\phi_{m}><\phi_{n}|=<\phi_{m}|\phi_{m}> A<\phi_{m}|\phi_{n}>[/tex]

then, since the states are orthonormal:
[tex]<\phi_{m}|\phi_{m}>=<\phi_{n}|\phi_{n}>=1[/tex]

If I can do that I get: [tex]A=A_{mn}|\phi_{m}><\phi_{n}|[/tex]

but I'm not sure where the summation comes in.

#4. Let K be the operator defined by [tex]K=|\phi><\psi|[/tex] where [tex]|\phi>, |\psi>[/tex] are two vectors of the state space.

c. show that K can always be written in the form [tex]K=\lambda P_{1}P_{2} [/tex] where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a constant to be calculated and [tex]P_{1}, P_{2}[/tex] are projectors.

I'm not really sure where to get started on this one. Any hints would be appreciatted, especially since this is due monday morning and I won't have time to talk to my professor before hand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b. If [tex]|\phi_{n}>[/tex] is a eigenket of H, then what is the action of H on [tex]|\phi_{n}>[/tex]? Similarly, what is [tex]<\phi_{n}|H[/tex]? Also note that the communtator between two operators is in general an operator.

e. The identity operator is [tex]\sum_{n}|\phi_{n}><\phi_{n}|[/tex]. Presumably you want to find A=?. Try to insert the identity operator in front and after A and exchange terms to see what you get.

What is a projector? [tex]\frac{|\phi><\phi|}{<\phi|\phi>}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{|\psi><\psi|}{<\psi|\psi>}[/tex] would be projectors.

Last edited:
So I figured out the first two questions, but I'm still stuck on that last one. I get to this point: [tex]K=\lambda \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\phi|\phi>} \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\psi|\psi>} [/tex]

How do I get from that to [tex]K=\lambda \frac{|\phi><\phi|}{<\phi|\phi>} \frac{|\psi><\psi|}{<\psi|\psi>} [/tex]?

Remember that [itex]<\psi|\phi>[/itex] is just a number...

Actually, how did you get to

[tex]K=\lambda \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\phi|\phi>} \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\psi|\psi>} [/tex]

?

It seems to me that if you did things slightly different, you'd get the answer you seek.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Remember that [itex]<\psi|\phi>[/itex] is just a number...

Actually, how did you get to

[tex]K=\lambda \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\phi|\phi>} \frac{|\phi><\psi|}{<\psi|\psi>} [/tex]

?

It seems to me that if you did things slightly different, you'd get the answer you seek.

I started with [tex] K=|\phi><\psi|[/tex] and multiplied by [tex]\frac{<\phi|\phi>}{<\phi|\phi>}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{<\psi|\psi>}{<\psi|\psi>}[/tex]. That is how I got the [tex]\lambda=<\phi|\psi>[/tex] term out front. Although, now that I look over it again, I'm not sure if I can rearrange the terms like that.

It's fine; numbers can always be moved around to wherever you want. Why did you opt to pull the [itex]<\phi|\psi>[/itex] term out instead of the [itex]<\psi|\phi>[/itex] term?

Hurkyl said:
It's fine; numbers can always be moved around to wherever you want. Why did you opt to pull the [itex]<\phi|\psi>[/itex] term out instead of the [itex]<\psi|\phi>[/itex] term?

I can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks for the help.

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It was developed by the physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics textbooks and research.

2. How do I solve problems using Dirac notation?

To solve problems using Dirac notation, you must first understand the basic rules and notation conventions. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of operators to solve for unknown values. It is also important to understand the physical meaning and interpretation of the mathematical results.

3. What is the significance of H, A, and K in Dirac notation?

H, A, and K are commonly used symbols in Dirac notation to represent classical variables or physical quantities. H is often used to represent the Hamiltonian operator, A for an observable quantity, and K for a state vector. These symbols help to simplify and clarify mathematical expressions in Dirac notation.

4. How is Dirac notation related to quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation is an integral part of quantum mechanics, as it provides a convenient and powerful way to represent and manipulate quantum states and operators. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and measurement, are expressed and applied using Dirac notation.

5. Can Dirac notation be used in other fields of science?

While Dirac notation was originally developed for use in quantum mechanics, it has also been adapted and applied in other fields of science such as signal processing, optics, and linear algebra. The notation's concise and abstract representation of vectors and operators makes it useful in a variety of mathematical and physical contexts.