Dirac Spin Exchange Operator

In summary, the spin exchange operator ##\hat{P}## has the property of exchanging spin states, and this implies that it also preserves symmetric and antisymmetric states. This can be represented by the operator ##P = \frac{1}{2}\Big(1+ \sum_{i=1}^3 \sigma_{1i}\sigma_{2i} \Big)##, where ##\sigma_{ij}## applies the ##j##-th Pauli matrix to spin ##i##. A formal derivation of this operator can be done by considering its action on basis vectors and using the completeness property.
MisterX
The spin exchange operator would have the property
$$\begin{align*}P\mid \chi_{\uparrow\downarrow} \rangle = \mid\chi_{\downarrow\uparrow} \rangle & &P\mid \chi_{\downarrow\uparrow} \rangle =\mid \chi_{\uparrow\downarrow} \rangle \end{align*}$$
This also implies ##P\mid \chi_{\text{sym.}} \rangle = \mid \chi_{\text{sym.}} \rangle ## and ##P\mid \chi_{\text{asym.}} \rangle = -\mid \chi_{\text{asym.}} \rangle ##.
According to sources this is equivalent to
$$P = \frac{1}{2}\Big(1+ \sum_{i=1}^3 \sigma_{1i}\sigma_{2i} \Big)\,,$$
where ##\sigma_{ij}## applies ##j##-th pauli matrix to spin ##i##. I am seeking some intuition of this. If I wanted to verify it, maybe I could check its action on a particular vector and then make an argument involving rotational invariance of the form of ##P##. I still would like to have some intuition on this and also understand the note from the wikipedia page.

thanks

MisterX said:
The spin exchange operator would have the property
$$\begin{align*}P\mid \chi_{\uparrow\downarrow} \rangle = \mid\chi_{\downarrow\uparrow} \rangle & &P\mid \chi_{\downarrow\uparrow} \rangle =\mid \chi_{\uparrow\downarrow} \rangle \end{align*}$$
This also implies ##P\mid \chi_{\text{sym.}} \rangle = \mid \chi_{\text{sym.}} \rangle ## and ##P\mid \chi_{\text{asym.}} \rangle = -\mid \chi_{\text{asym.}} \rangle ##.
According to sources this is equivalent to
$$P = \frac{1}{2}\Big(1+ \sum_{i=1}^3 \sigma_{1i}\sigma_{2i} \Big)\,,$$
where ##\sigma_{ij}## applies ##j##-th pauli matrix to spin ##i##. I am seeking some intuition of this. If I wanted to verify it, maybe I could check its action on a particular vector and then make an argument involving rotational invariance of the form of ##P##. I still would like to have some intuition on this and also understand the note from the wikipedia page.

thanks

It is little unclear what you are asking. To verify this you can follow what you said. For a formal derivation you can see below. The method I am using can be used to find the explicit form of any operator if you know its action on the basis vectors.

Now as per the property of the operator ##\hat{P}## the spin is exchanged. Here we are dealing with the tensor product of two Hilbert spaces (##\mathbb{C}^2\otimes\mathbb{C}^2##). Let us restrict ourselves to two dimensional space spanned by ##|i\rangle\in (|\uparrow \rangle, |\downarrow \rangle )## for simplicity. Thus the ansatz operator takes the form ##\hat{P}_1\otimes\hat{P}_2##.

The property says
[tex]
\hat{P}_1\otimes\hat{P}_2 |i \rangle \otimes|j \rangle = |j \rangle\otimes |i \rangle
[/tex]

Now take the combination ##\langle i|\otimes\langle j|## and hit it from the right on the LHS and RHS of above equation and sum over ##i,j##. Symbolically (I am abusing the notation to make it clear. Irony!)

[tex]
\sum_{i,j}\left(\hat{P}_1\otimes\hat{P}_2 |i \rangle \otimes |j \rangle\right)\left( \langle i|\otimes\langle j|\right)= \sum_{i,j}\left(|j \rangle\otimes |i \rangle\right)\left( \langle i|\otimes\langle j|\right) \\
\hat{P}_1\sum_{i} |i \rangle\langle i|\otimes \hat{P}_{2}\sum_{j}|j \rangle\langle j|= \sum_{i,j}|j \rangle\langle i|\otimes |i \rangle\langle j|
[/tex]

Using the completeness property the last line becomes
[tex]
\hat{P}_1\otimes P_{2} = \sum_{i,j}|j \rangle\langle i|\otimes |i \rangle\langle j|
[/tex]

And now it becomes simple (via matrix algebra or vector algebra) to show that the RHS of last equation is equal to $$ \frac{1}{2}\Big(1+ \sum_{i=1}^3 \sigma_{i}\otimes\sigma_{i} \Big)\,,$$

If you use matrix algebra, you might get a clear intuition of what is happening.

Likes vanhees71 and MisterX

1. What is the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator?

The Dirac Spin Exchange Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin interactions between particles. It is named after physicist Paul Dirac and is denoted by the symbol S.

2. How does the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator work?

The Dirac Spin Exchange Operator works by calculating the spin exchange term in the wave function of a system of particles. It takes into account the spin states of each particle and their interactions with each other.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator?

The Dirac Spin Exchange Operator is significant because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of systems of particles with spin. It is a crucial tool in understanding phenomena such as magnetism and superconductivity.

4. How is the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator related to the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The Dirac Spin Exchange Operator takes this into account by enforcing anti-symmetry in the wave function of a system, ensuring that no two particles with the same spin state can occupy the same position.

5. Can the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator be applied to all systems of particles?

Yes, the Dirac Spin Exchange Operator can be applied to any system of particles with spin. This includes atoms, molecules, and even subatomic particles such as electrons and protons. It is a universal tool in the study of spin interactions in quantum systems.