Introduction to Dirac's Conjecture

• Thread starter earth2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, Dirac's conjecture is a theory stating that gauge transformations of a system are generated by the system's constraints. It is also sometimes referred to as the "large numbers hypothesis." If you want to learn more about this topic, "The Strangest Man" is a recommended biography about Dirac.
earth2
Hey there!

I want to make myself familiar with Dirac's conjeture. Does anyone know a good source for it? I don't want to read his paper form the 50ies and hope there is a more pedagogical introduction of the topic... :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Dirac's conjecture? I just finished reading an excellent biography about Dirac, and I am not sure what you mean. His large numbers hypothesis?

George Jones said:
What is Dirac's conjecture? I just finished reading an excellent biography about Dirac, and I am not sure what you mean. His large numbers hypothesis?

Was it "The Strangest Man"?

Yes.

Hey!

Dirac's conjecture basically says that gauge transformations of a system are generated by the system's constraints. (At least I think that it is called Dirac's conjecture... :) )

1. What is Dirac's Conjecture?

Dirac's Conjecture, also known as the "Four Color Theorem", is a mathematical statement that states that any map can be colored using only four colors in such a way that no two adjacent regions have the same color.

2. Who proposed Dirac's Conjecture?

The conjecture was first proposed by British mathematician Harold Scott MacDonald Coxeter in 1937, although it was named after Paul Dirac, a physicist who also made significant contributions to the field of mathematics.

3. Has Dirac's Conjecture been proven?

Yes, in 1976, mathematicians Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to prove the conjecture. Their proof was controversial at the time because it relied heavily on computer-generated calculations, but it has since been accepted by the mathematical community.

4. What are the implications of Dirac's Conjecture?

Dirac's Conjecture has important implications in the field of graph theory and has been used to prove other mathematical theorems. It also has practical applications in areas such as computer science and cartography.

5. Are there any remaining questions or extensions of Dirac's Conjecture?

There are still some open questions and extensions of Dirac's Conjecture, such as the five color theorem which states that any map can be colored using only five colors in such a way that no two adjacent regions have the same color. Some mathematicians have also explored the conjecture in higher dimensions and on different types of surfaces.