1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac's K

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1
    In Feynman's nobel lecture, he mentions this:

I'm trying to get the same result, but I'm stuck. Has anyone done this before?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Write [tex]L= \frac{1}{2} (\frac{x-x'}{\lambda})^{2} - V(x)[/tex] , change integration variable to [tex]x-x'=y[/tex] , then expand [tex]V(x),\phi(x)[/tex] about [tex]y=0[/tex] and keep first order terms in [tex]\lambda[/tex] ;
    [tex]\phi(x',t+\lambda)= A \int dy exp(\frac{iy^{2}}{2\lambda}) exp[-i\lambda (V(x') + yV'(x') + ..)][\phi(x',t) + y \frac{\partial {\phi(x')}}{\partial{x'}} + \frac{1}{2} y^{2}\frac{\partial^{2} \phi(x',t)}{\partial {x'}^{2}} +...][/tex]
    or
    [tex]\phi(x',t+\lambda) = A[1 - i \lambda V(x')] \int dy exp[\frac{iy^{2}}{2\lambda}][\phi(x',t) + (1/2) y^{2} \frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial {x'}^{2}}][/tex]
    we dropped the factor
    [tex]exp[-iV'(x')y\lambda][/tex]
    because when the integration over y is done this will be of order
    [tex]\lambda^{3/2}[/tex]
    we also used
    [tex] \int dy y exp(-a y^{2}) = 0[/tex]

Now use the integrals:
    [tex] \int dy exp(-a y^{2}) = (\pi/a)^{1/2}[/tex]
    [tex] \int dy y^{2} exp(-a y^{2}) = (\pi/2)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]

Schrodinger eq follows when you choose A so that the coefficient of
    [itex]\phi(x',t)[/itex] is one, and take the limit [itex]\lambda\rightarrow 0[/itex];

[tex]\frac{\phi(x',t+\lambda)-\phi(x',t)}{\lambda} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{t}} \phi(x',t)[/tex]

regards

sam

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  4. Jul 17, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply!
    I didn't know the bounds are infinities... Also, I couldn't get [tex]\lambda[/tex] to the 3/2th power, for [tex]-iV'(x') y \lambda[/tex], but as you did, I used only the first term for potential.

Anyway, I couldn't see how Schrödinger equation comes out from what you've written, so
    I've tried to work out the details for myself, but I ended up a weird equation that is far from Schrödinger's. Here it goes:

(You seem to've cranked up [tex]\hbar[/tex] and m to 1, but for keeping a better track of things, I'm leaving them there).

[tex]L = \frac{m}{2} {(\frac{x-x'}{\epsilon})}^2 - V(x)[/tex]
    [tex]y = x-x'[/tex], keeping [tex]x'[/tex] fixed, [tex]dy = dx[/tex] (I guess this was what you meant).

Then,

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = A \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{im}{\hbar \epsilon}y^2} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} (\varphi(x',t) + y\frac{\partial \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x} + \frac{y^2}{2}\frac{\partial^2 \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x^2}) dy[/tex]

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = A e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} (\varphi(x',t)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^2 \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x^2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{2(-im/\hbar \epsilon)})[/tex]

To make coefficient of [tex]\varphi(x',t)[/tex] 1, A should obey:

[tex]A e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} = 1[/tex]

By making A so, I got:

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial x^2} \frac{i}{2\sqrt2} \sqrt{\frac{\hbar \epsilon}{im}}[/tex]

which has some weird coefficients for spatial derivative, and missing the potential term. Am I (or maybe you) doing something wrong??

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  5. Jul 17, 2006 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

6. Jul 17, 2006 #5
    Ups. I missed that bit. So my A became

[tex]A \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} = 1[/tex]. [tex]V(x') \frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial x^2}...[/tex] term is dropped since it has an second order [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. OK, by doing so, I had the potential term nicely, but I still have a weird extra coefficent in the same place. This time, it's this:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{im}{8 \hbar \epsilon}}[/tex].

Can you spot the error this time?..

7. Jul 17, 2006 #6
    Umm.it seems too easy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if all physics were so easy we shouldn't have problem finding Quantum Gravity:

As far as i know the Integral equation satisfied by the wave is:

[tex] \psi(x',t')=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxdtG(x,x',t,t')\psi(x,t) [/tex]

with [tex] G(x,x',t,t')=A\int D[x]e^{iS(x)]/\hbar [/tex]

[tex] S(x)=\int_{a}^{b}dt [(1/2)m(\dot x)^{2}-V(x)] [/tex]

However the Functional integral above can't be done except for "Semiclassical Approach" or when V(x)=0 or V(x)=x^{2}

8. Jul 17, 2006 #7

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

the error was in
    [tex] \int dy e^{-a y^{2}} = (\pi/2)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]
    it should be
    [tex] \int dy e^{-a y^{2}} = (\pi/a)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]
    I think my miss-keying is to blame :frown:

regards

sam

9. Jul 18, 2006 #8
    Horray! :approve: Huge thanks, finally Schrödinger equation did come out!
    One last question, how could you (or Feynman) see which term you had to expand? I rather tried expanding [tex]e^{iLdt/\hbar}[/tex] directly, without expanding the potential term around a fixed point, and without leaving a [tex]e^{imv^2/2\hbar}[/tex]. It was all a mess. I really wonder how you did see?

eljose, is that equation for QG?

10. Jul 18, 2006 #9

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?