Struggling to Get the Same Result: Solving Schrödinger Equation

In summary: Thanks for the reply!I finally got it, thanks for your patience. I had to go back a few pages, and do some algebra, but I finally got it. Thanks a lot for your help, sam!Good luck with your QG.
wavemaster
In http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html" , he mentions this:

...So I simply put them equal, taking the simplest example where the Lagrangian is [tex]\frac{m}{2}\dot{x}^2 - V(x)[/tex] but soon found I had to put a constant of proportionality A in, suitably adjusted. When I substituted [tex]Ae^{i \epsilon L / \hbar}[/tex] for K to get

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = \int A e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} L(\frac{x'-x}{\epsilon},x) \epsilon} \varphi(x,t) dx[/tex]

and just calculated things out by Taylor series expansion, out came the Schrödinger equation.

I'm trying to get the same result, but I'm stuck. Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wavemaster said:
In http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html" , he mentions this:

I'm trying to get the same result, but I'm stuck. Has anyone done this before?

Write [tex]L= \frac{1}{2} (\frac{x-x'}{\lambda})^{2} - V(x)[/tex] , change integration variable to [tex]x-x'=y[/tex] , then expand [tex]V(x),\phi(x)[/tex] about [tex]y=0[/tex] and keep first order terms in [tex]\lambda[/tex] ;
[tex]\phi(x',t+\lambda)= A \int dy exp(\frac{iy^{2}}{2\lambda}) exp[-i\lambda (V(x') + yV'(x') + ..)][\phi(x',t) + y \frac{\partial {\phi(x')}}{\partial{x'}} + \frac{1}{2} y^{2}\frac{\partial^{2} \phi(x',t)}{\partial {x'}^{2}} +...][/tex]
or
[tex]\phi(x',t+\lambda) = A[1 - i \lambda V(x')] \int dy exp[\frac{iy^{2}}{2\lambda}][\phi(x',t) + (1/2) y^{2} \frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial {x'}^{2}}][/tex]
we dropped the factor
[tex]exp[-iV'(x')y\lambda][/tex]
because when the integration over y is done this will be of order
[tex]\lambda^{3/2}[/tex]
we also used
[tex] \int dy y exp(-a y^{2}) = 0[/tex]

Now use the integrals:
[tex] \int dy exp(-a y^{2}) = (\pi/a)^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex] \int dy y^{2} exp(-a y^{2}) = (\pi/2)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]

Schrodinger eq follows when you choose A so that the coefficient of
[itex]\phi(x',t)[/itex] is one, and take the limit [itex]\lambda\rightarrow 0[/itex];

[tex]\frac{\phi(x',t+\lambda)-\phi(x',t)}{\lambda} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{t}} \phi(x',t)[/tex]

regards

sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't know the bounds are infinities... Also, I couldn't get [tex]\lambda[/tex] to the 3/2th power, for [tex]-iV'(x') y \lambda[/tex], but as you did, I used only the first term for potential.

Anyway, I couldn't see how Schrödinger equation comes out from what you've written, so
I've tried to work out the details for myself, but I ended up a weird equation that is far from Schrödinger's. Here it goes:

(You seem to've cranked up [tex]\hbar[/tex] and m to 1, but for keeping a better track of things, I'm leaving them there).

[tex]L = \frac{m}{2} {(\frac{x-x'}{\epsilon})}^2 - V(x)[/tex]
[tex]y = x-x'[/tex], keeping [tex]x'[/tex] fixed, [tex]dy = dx[/tex] (I guess this was what you meant).

Then,

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = A \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{im}{\hbar \epsilon}y^2} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} (\varphi(x',t) + y\frac{\partial \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x} + \frac{y^2}{2}\frac{\partial^2 \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x^2}) dy[/tex]

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = A e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} (\varphi(x',t)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^2 \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x^2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{2(-im/\hbar \epsilon)})[/tex]

To make coefficient of [tex]\varphi(x',t)[/tex] 1, A should obey:

[tex]A e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} = 1[/tex]

By making A so, I got:

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial x^2} \frac{i}{2\sqrt2} \sqrt{\frac{\hbar \epsilon}{im}}[/tex]

which has some weird coefficients for spatial derivative, and missing the potential term. Am I (or maybe you) doing something wrong??

Last edited:
wavemaster said:
Thanks for the reply!

[tex]\varphi(x',t+\epsilon) = A e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')} (\varphi(x',t)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^2 \varphi(x',t)}{\partial x^2} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{2(-im/\hbar \epsilon)})[/tex]

Write
[tex]e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')}= 1 - \frac{i}{\hbar} \epsilon V(x')[/tex]
so that you dot miss the potential term :smile: ,
then make equal to one the coefficient of [tex]\varphi(x',t)[/tex] NOT [tex]\varphi(x',t) V(x')[/tex]

now try it :wink:

regards

sam

Ups. I missed that bit. So my A became

[tex]A \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{-im/\hbar \epsilon}} = 1[/tex]. [tex]V(x') \frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial x^2}...[/tex] term is dropped since it has an second order [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. OK, by doing so, I had the potential term nicely, but I still have a weird extra coefficent in the same place. This time, it's this:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{im}{8 \hbar \epsilon}}[/tex].

Can you spot the error this time?..

Umm.it seems too easy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if all physics were so easy we shouldn't have problem finding Quantum Gravity:

As far as i know the Integral equation satisfied by the wave is:

[tex] \psi(x',t')=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxdtG(x,x',t,t')\psi(x,t) [/tex]

with [tex] G(x,x',t,t')=A\int D[x]e^{iS(x)]/\hbar [/tex]

[tex] S(x)=\int_{a}^{b}dt [(1/2)m(\dot x)^{2}-V(x)] [/tex]

However the Functional integral above can't be done except for "Semiclassical Approach" or when V(x)=0 or V(x)=x^{2}

wavemaster said:
Can you spot the error this time?..

the error was in
[tex] \int dy e^{-a y^{2}} = (\pi/2)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]
it should be
[tex] \int dy e^{-a y^{2}} = (\pi/a)^{1/2}(1/2a)[/tex]
I think my miss-keying is to blame :frown:

regards

sam

Horray! :approve: Huge thanks, finally Schrödinger equation did come out!
One last question, how could you (or Feynman) see which term you had to expand? I rather tried expanding [tex]e^{iLdt/\hbar}[/tex] directly, without expanding the potential term around a fixed point, and without leaving a [tex]e^{imv^2/2\hbar}[/tex]. It was all a mess. I really wonder how you did see?

eljose, is that equation for QG?

wavemaster said:
Horray! :approve: Huge thanks, finally Schrödinger equation did come out!
One last question, how could you (or Feynman) see which term you had to expand? I rather tried expanding [tex]e^{iLdt/\hbar}[/tex] directly, without expanding the potential term around a fixed point, and without leaving a [tex]e^{imv^2/2\hbar}[/tex]. It was all a mess. I really wonder how you did see?

Let us write

[tex]L(\frac{x-x'}{\epsilon} , x) = L(\frac{y}{\epsilon} , y+x') = T(\frac{y}{\epsilon}) - V(y+x') [/tex]

since we know the functional form of T;

[tex]T= \frac{m}{2}(\frac{y}{\epsilon})^{2}[/tex]

and this can be integrated out, then we only need to expand [tex]V(y+x')[/tex] .

We also do not expand the e first;

[tex]e^{iL\epsilon} = 1+ iL \epsilon + ...[/tex]

because this would lead to divergent integrals.
I hope this helps.

sam

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is it important to solve the Schrödinger equation?

Solving the Schrödinger equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is essential in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, which rely on quantum mechanics principles.

3. What are the challenges of solving the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a complex mathematical equation that involves solving partial differential equations. It also requires knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and complex analysis. Additionally, the equation is only an approximation of reality and does not account for all quantum effects.

4. How do scientists approach solving the Schrödinger equation?

Scientists use a variety of numerical and analytical methods to solve the Schrödinger equation. These methods include the finite element method, the finite difference method, and the variational method. Each approach has its advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific problem being studied.

5. What are some applications of solving the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation has numerous applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used in the design of new materials, drug development, and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and quantum cryptography.