1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diract delta function

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Justify the following expretion, in spherical coordinates;

delta (vector r) = (1 / r^2 * sin (theta) ) * delta(r) * delta(theta) * delta(phi)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know what it means.... please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

are you sure you don't mean
    [tex]
    r^2{\sin{\theta}.dr.d\theta.d\phi
    [/tex]

this an expression for a volume integrand, over spherical coordinates [tex](r, \theta, \phi)[/tex]

the delta represents each coordinate integral, whilst the [tex]r^2\sin{\theta}[/tex] factor comes from the jacobian, based on the coordinate transform from cartesian to spherical coordinates

in simple terms try drawing the volume element formed by the infintesimals, (approximating a infintesiaml cube in the limit..)
    [tex]
    dV = d\textbf{r} = r^2\sin{\theta}.dr.d\theta.d\phi
    [/tex]

and you will see where the [tex]
    r^2{\sin{\theta}
    [/tex] terms comes from

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    I'l presume also aside from using the Jacobian for the coordinate transom one should start with:

[tex]\delta(x-x_o,y-y_o,z-z_o)=\delta(x-x_o)\delta(y-y_o)\delta(z-z_o)[/tex]

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

Cheers John, I've re-read the question - missed the meaning of delta first time round...

element1945 can you elaborate on the problem at all? also do you understand what the 1 dimensional delta function is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook