1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirction of fastest growth

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    I have f(x,y,z)=(x^2)y-x(e^z) and point Po=(2,-1,pi)
    I need to find
    a) gradient at point Po ( done)
    b) Rate of change of f at point Po in the direction of vector u=i-2j+k (it's also done)
    c) Unit vector in the direction of fastest growth of f at Po.

I can't find formulas for a last on. Does it come from a) and b)?
    I know that angle should be zero but I am not sure what angle it is.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2
    At what angle is the growth greatest? Its got to do with the directional derivative and the gradient.
  4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    The growth is greatest when angle equals zero.
  5. Nov 15, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When WHAT angle equals zero?

(You are almost there!)
  6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    I think it's the angle between unit vector and tangent vector to f at Po.
    If I'm correct, I'm not sure how should I put it on a paper.
  7. Nov 15, 2005 #6
    Youre right. When you take a directional derivative what kind of product do you use (for the two vectors). One of these two is at a maximum when the angle is zero, thats the one you want to use.

If you're still stuck, show the defining expression for a directional derivative.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  8. Nov 15, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not "tangent vector" because you are not talking about a curve.

The gradient is the "derivative" of a function of 2 or more variables. The derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of angle [itex]\theta[/itex] if given by
    [tex]D_\theta f(x,y)= (cos \theta i+ sin \theta j)\dot(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]
    That will have a maximum (with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex]) where it's derivative with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] equals 0:
    [tex]-cos\theta \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ sin\theta\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
    That means that
    [tex]tan\theta= \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}= \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}[/tex]

Think about what that means in terms of the components of the gradient of f.
  9. Nov 15, 2005 #8
    It is tangent to the surface at that point and I think that is what he is meaning, but when youre dotting [itex] D_{\theta}f(x,y) [/itex] why did we get a negative cosine?

You also forgot your j unit vector in the first expression.
  10. Nov 15, 2005 #9
    Yes, my mistake I thought of tangent vector to a surface.
    Why should I dot f(x,y) if I have f(x,y,z)?
    Still confused.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?