1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dire need of help on this gas flowing into a vessel problem

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An evacuated rigid vessel is filled adiabatically through a valve from a large constant pressure source of a certain gas, until the pressures inside and outside are equal. If the P-U-V relation for the gas is given by the equation:
    U = 831 + 2PV where U is joules, P is pascals, and V is m^3
    Find the ratio of the initial and final volumes of the gas which enters.
    (Hint: This is an application of the non-steady flow energy equation)

2. Relevant equations
    So we need to use the Non-steady flow energy equation. Does that mean I use the equation
    dE/dt = Q - W + (dm/dt)*(h2-h1) + .5*(dm/dt)*(V1^2 - V2^2)
    In this case, kinetic and potential energy contributions would be negligible and I'm guessing the equation reduces to:
    ΔU = Q - W + (dm/dt)*(h2 - h1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Also since the process is adiabatic, then Q = 0 and W = 0 for the process so the above equation simplifies to:
    dU/dt = (dm/dt)*(h2-h1)
    I also think that the internal energy of the system is 831 since the initial pressure and volume are both 0. In other words, U(0,0) = 831, but I don't know how to figure out the rest of the problem. Please let me know if I'm doing this right or not.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?