1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Comparison Test

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use any test to determine whether the series converges.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\displaystyle \sum^{∞}_{n=1} tan(1/n) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Direct Comparison Test

tan(1/n) > 1/n

By integral test: 1/n diverges thus, by dct, tan(1/n) diverges.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

looks good to me. They might want some more detail in your working, i.e. what is the range of values that 1/n can take. And why is tan(1/n) > 1/n for these range of values?

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, comparison test is what you want here. You may want to note that you need sufficiently large n for it to hold.

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As others have noted, you need to say why this is true.

It isn't 1/n that diverges, it is ##\sum 1/n## that diverges. Same for tan(1/n).

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5
    i thought it held only for sufficiently small n. it holds starting at n=1

7. Apr 4, 2013 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think you are right that it holds, starting at n=1. But think about what would happen if you started at smaller n, for example starting at n=0.0001, would it still hold then?

Edit: and think about if it started at n=1000, would it hold? This should suggest whether it holds for sufficiently small or sufficiently large n.

Edit again: hint: look at the graph of tan(x), where might there be problems for the equation tan(x)>x ? And then think about how this applies to n (which is 1/x)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. Apr 4, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about the graphs of y = tan(x) and y = x for nonnegative x.

9. Apr 4, 2013 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why would you want to check n = 0.0001? n is an index on a summation, typically limited to integer values.

10. Apr 4, 2013 #9
    exactly.

11. Apr 4, 2013 #10
    It it doesn't seem that hard to show that [itex] \tan \frac{1}{n} > \frac{1}{n} [/itex] for all positive n. Since [itex] \frac{1}{n} \leq 1 [/itex], it suffices to show that [itex] \tan x \geq x [/itex] for [itex] 0 \leq x \leq 1 [/itex] . Just let [itex] f(x) = \tan x - x [/itex] and find [itex] f'(x) = \sec^2 x -1 \geq 0[/itex]. Since [itex] f [/itex] is zero at x=0 and increasing, it must be positive on [itex] [0,1] [/itex] as it is continous. If [itex] \tan x - x [/itex] is positive, then [itex] \tan x \geq x [/itex] and we are done.

12. Apr 4, 2013 #11

BruceW

Homework Helper

@HS-Scientist: yeah, don't give the game away though... (p.s. is this a British expression, or does this make sense to Americans, too?)

It doesn't have to be integer though. The point is that whatlifeforme was saying that n needs to be sufficiently small, but actually it holds for n sufficiently large. Although I admit, checking particular values of n is not very helpful. It is better to look at the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted